BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Saturday 23 August 2014

Read All About It!


The Ferry. Pete Woodruff.

I regularly see the 2.15pm ferry from Cockersands leaving Heysham Harbour, often with the brilliant backdrop of Lakeland mountains on a clear day.

Yellow Wagtail Martin Jump

I know I could have driven to Bank End, but what about the rarity I might have found en route from Crook Farm, in any case the walk was a healthy one, and the reward at the end of it was a brilliant adult Yellow Wagtail, though I could have missed it hadn't the second of 2 Wheatear I saw caught my eye to find when I looked back the YW close by where the Wheatear had landed, also seen in the Cocker channel were 8 Goosander obviously a well grown family group. A Little Egret was on Cockerham Marsh, and a Sparrowhawk was over as I walked back. I checked the horse paddock at Bank Houses for any more YW's to no avail, but a Sedge Warbler gave good views in the brambles here.


Mediterranean Gull. Pete Woodruff. 

On the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock, an adult Mediterranean Gull, with estimates of waders in view, 150 Curlew, 95 Golden Plover, 35 Dunlin, up to 50 Greylag, and 2 Little EgretAt Conder Green, 3 Greenshank, a Spotted Redshank, 4 Common Sandpiper, 5 Little Grebe, and a Great-crested Grebe.

The Conder Common Tern.  

Both adult Common Tern breeding on the appropriately christened 'Tern Island' gave a clear indication of protecting young when they went into the air together to give calls of aggression to a Buzzard drifting NE over Conder Pool. Someone's going to see the young in the coming few days, and fledged in two weeks at the latest.

Post Edit.

I recieved the following message from a Fylde birder which reads....Definitely at least one chick, about half grown, seen at 11.20am....This is excellent news for Conder Pool.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Pete,
    I've bee away for a while and I am slowly catching up with blogging...
    I had a quick review of your latest post, I see you have been quite busy too!
    I bet your observations are interesting many bird watchers in you area!
    A great job and and a great selection of pics!
    Keep well, enjoy your sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noushka....There are lots of birders whose observations are equally as interesting and informative as mine, but I thank you for your kind words, and for looking in again on Birds2blog.

    ReplyDelete