BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 7 September 2014

Starting At The End!

I decided on another visit to Bank End again on Friday in pursuit of the Mellow Yellows. I seem to be hooked on them at the moment, they've been showing consistently here for several days now....have they bred around here at some secret suppressed/unknown location I ask myself. 


Yellow Wagtail Marc Heath

A lengthy search along the edge of Cockerham Marsh was fruitless but a few strides up the bank to overlook a field with cattle south of the caravan park turned up 2 Yellow Wagtail, a stunning adult and a juvenile. Also of note, a 'large' number of Swallows around and resting on the farm building rooftops at Bank End, and 4 Little Egret in the Cocker channel....That's my lot here, I'm off to Cockersands.


Golden Plover Brian Rafferty

I didn't give Cockersands the attention it deserves and demands, though I did put in the effort to go out on to the low tide Plover Scar where I found at least 300 Golden Plover, with little else other than the site faithful Oystercatcher, a 'few' Redshank, and 2 Little Egret, with 15 Eider and 25 Wigeon off here. On the way to and from the scar, 4 Wheatear, a movement was evident with 8 Skylark seen, and c.25 Linnet noted. 

At Conder Green, I saw just one adult and the fledged young Common Tern on Conder Pool, also of note, 10 Little Grebe and 7 Snipe. A Little Egret was in the creeks, and 5 Greenshank were feeding together in the Conder channel downstream from the old railway bridge.

Yes I know, I really should be doing some bush bashing right now....but I can't do everything!

Thanks to Marc and Brian for the photographs....Much appreciated and excellent on both counts.

1 comment:

  1. I get quite few of the Yellow wagtails passing through here Pete, they are all young birds though, not the stunning adults :-(

    ReplyDelete