BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 18 March 2015

And Again!

On Tuesday I did a re-run of Monday with little new to add, certainly no migrants to be found, and the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock was depressingly dead.

The recent residents have been joined by three relatives and there was now 5 Goldeneye on Conder Pool, also 2 Little Grebe, 2 Snipe, and the lone Back-tailed Godwit. The Spotted Redshank duly obliged in the creeks together with 18 Redshank, a drake Goosander was also in the creeks. A Grey Wagtail was upstream of the road bridge where I noted a Reed Bunting which seemed to have learned the art of fly-catching, it appeared to be taking insects in mid-air several times over the river to return to its perch on the reeds, I never observed this behaviour by a Reed Bunting before. A Buzzard was over the marsh from the picnic site and drifted inland.


Lesser Black-backed Gull. Pete Woodruff.

I couldn't resist another pic of the L.B.B.Gull on Conder Pool, a handsome brute if ever there was one, it's mate was also on the island out of camera shot, I'm keeping my eye on these two, I think they have a plan.

To be honest Cockersands was a waste of time, I caught sight of a 'few' Meadow Pipit and Pied Wagtail neither in double figure, 5 Pink-footed Geese were in an Abbey Farm field and took me a little by surprise, the Moss Lane Kestrel seen, and the uncounted Whooper Swans have once again spread out far and wide between Slack Lane, Moss Lane, and Bank End. 

Ringed Whooper Swan.

I managed to find a Whooper Swan marked BTY at Bank End on Monday and thanks to Kane Brides at WWT I was in receipt of the birds history the following day. 

Species: Whooper Swan
Location: Bank End, Cockerham 
Grid Ref: SD438 529
Date: 14 March 2015
Ring: Yellow Letters Black 
Right Leg BTY

This Whooper Swan was ringed as a cygnet at Helluvadstjorn, Myvatnssveit, Iceland, on 8 August 2013 and the sighting at Bank End was the first since that date.

1 comment:

  1. Very good, you caught many today. The photo is excellent Pete.

    ReplyDelete