BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..............................................................................SCAUP CONDER POOL 5 MARCH PAUL ELLIS

Saturday 4 April 2015

A Party Political Broadcast....

....on behalf of the Migration Party. 

But nothing to broadcast as there has been little migration into the country yet, and I'll miss the start if it happens before Tuesday as I'm out of business until then. 

Meanwhile....Alleluia, I got out birding again on Thursday, first time in six days, but I haven't missed much as evidence showed today.

As far as I could see the Conder Pool winter Little Grebes and Goldeneyes have gone, though the faithful Spotted Redshank and Common Sandpiper both showed themselves again, accompanied by a small motley crew of 18 Tufted Duck, 2 Snipe, and a Little Egret, a 'pipit' had me jumping to attention for one second when it became obvious it was a Meadow Pipit. A Stoat took my place on the viewing platform as I stepped down from it.

The Lune Estuary was hardly riveting, but c.120 Black-tailed Godwit seen, some of which were in their resplendent summer plumes, also c.60 Bar-tailed Godwit, 3 Red-breasted Merganser, and a Little Egret was the sum total of interest.

As I drove up Moss Lane towards Cockersands I saw at least 900 Golden Plover in the air over the fields, but in the three hours spent there I never saw them again. There are still at least 200 Whooper Swan in the fields here with the Black Swan still attached to the herd.


Turnstone Brian Rafferty  

On Plover Scar I estimated 80 Turnstone and saw 63 Eider off here. A single Stock Dove was in an Abbey Farm field, and a Small Tortoiseshell was my first this year.


Sparrowhawk Richard Pegler

The local Sparrowhawk took out one of our resident garden House Sparrows yesterday....BASTARD. The sparrow probably has a nest under the eaves of our house.

Migration as I post....Still waiting.

Thanks to Brian and Richard for the Turnstones and Sparrowhawk, and to Martin for the Black-tailed Godwit header....More excellent images on Birds2blog.

3 comments:

  1. Another Dismal visit here today Pete(4th). Cold wind, grey and drizzley, not good for migrant movement :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now Pete, why would you treat this sparrowhawk like this, calling it a "bastard"?!!
    He does what has to to survive and in the logic of things predators must control the numbers of smaller creatures... :)
    OK, I know you know! LOL!
    I was lucky to see 2 different individuals this winter and saw one catch a tit but unfortunately he was so quick I didn't have the time to click!I hope you will be able to monitor the incoming species for the breeding season, I will miss quite a bit since we have to fly to Aussie land for a few days next weekend!
    Enjoy your Easter weekend and take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren....Looking better just now up north, but have'nt checked the weather anywhere else. Very little happening on the migrant front yet.

    Noushka....Tongue in cheek calling the Sparrowhawk illegitimate, I respect them very much. Enjoy your visit to Aussie, Bon Voyage and a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete