BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Friday 12 June 2015

Mainly Nowt!

Dictionary definition of 'Nowt'....A Northern English dialect for nothing....which is what my afternoon's birding on Tuesday almost was. I'm tempted to use the word grim.

But at least I saw the head of one of the Common Terns breeding on Conder Pool again this year, though in a couple of days time nobody will be able to see this bird with the nest box overgrown with vegetation, and will only be aware of their presence if/when the second bird is on the island.

Also on Conder Pool the Oystercatchers appear to have one chick surviving, otherwise 6 Tufted Duck, 3 Redshank, and a few Sand Martin hawking. A Little Egret was in the creeks, and 2 Reed Bunting were the sum total of birds on the circuit. 

On the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock, 9 Eider and a Little Egret were the only birds of note, and a Sedge Warbler seen on Jeremy Lane as I drove along.

Desperation set in at Cockersands were I only clocked up a Whitethroat and 3 Skylark despite a couple of hours wander....Woe is me! 

Merlin. Dan Haywood.


But DH got in touch to let me know he'd seen a bird I'd missed at Cockersands thirty minutes after I had seen him at Glasson Dock, when an unseasonal Merlin came into his view whilst scanning for the source of consternation amongst the local Swallows, the bird was picked up over Crook Farm and on towards Glasson Marsh. 

Thanks for the info and excellent image Dan, I appreciate this very much.

The Hunting Ban.


Fox. Noushka Dufort @ 1000 Pattes

The hunting ban - not just of the Fox, so forget the 'fluffy bunny' bit - is now facing a repeal, please consider taking the appropriate action when you have had a look at This 

No comments:

Post a Comment