BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 11 February 2016

Long Time No Birding.

A week out of birding is a long time for me, so it was good to be out again yesterday for the first time since last Wednesday, to take a closer look around the Lune Estuary. I didn't spend too much time at Conder Green and moved no further than the viewing platform at the pool, I wanted to get to Glasson Dock before the tide took over.

On Conder Pool, 6 Little Grebe, 4 Snipe, 2 Goosander, and a few Oystercatcher which were making a commotion piping loudly like spring was here. I called back to Conder Green five hours later to find the Spotted Redshank in the creeks and to have excellent views of a Barn Owl quartering the marsh.

On the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock, an impressive c.1,500 Bar-tailed Godwit with a similar number of at least 1,500 Knot. The best count this winter was of 52 Goldeneye which upgraded the count of 34 made on Tuesday 2 February, also 2 Red-breasted Merganser. A Merlin and Peregrine Falcon were hunting the area whilst I was here, and up to 1,250 Pink-footed Geese were on Colloway Marsh. A Great-crested Grebe and 22 Tufted Duck were noted on the canal basin.

From Moss Lane, 7 Bewick's Swan were in a field west of Gardners Farm at SD441543, and c.350 Whooper Swan were more obliging than of late grouped in fields south of Moss Lane, another 5 Whooper Swan were in the field and around the flood south of the Caravan Park, where at least 750 Curlew were seen again, with a single Bar-tailed Godwit, a few uncounted Redshank, 3 Little Egret and a Brown Hare. I could see up to 250 Curlew at Bank End from here roosting over the high tide.


Rock Pipit. Pete Woodruff.

Two Rock Pipit were on the tide wrack, and in and around Bank Houses horse paddock, 7 Blackbird, 6 Tree Sparrow, 2 Greenfinch, 2 Reed Bunting, a Robin, and a Sparrowhawk seen.


Turnstone. Pete Woodruff. 

On the headland, 65 Turnstone, with 2 Knot and a Dunlin had assembled here over the high tide. 

It was good to be back to see the birds of the Lune Estuary again today, with the excellent variety it has to offer, along with some impressive wader counts, and the peak of 52 Goldeneye.

5 comments:

  1. Pete got out..........and his camera too ! Get in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful image, the Turnstones, I would love to see one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pete,
    I am as always quite impressed with the number of species you see in one outing alone!
    Gee, I wish I could come and visit you !
    Great to see your own pictures :)
    I hope the weather gets better, here too it is despicable!!
    Keep well and enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good return for you with lots of entries for the little black book!! Nice to have excellent views of the Conder Barn Owl.I must try to see it.Nice to see your pics Pete for a change. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warren....Yes, I always said I wouldn't 'do' photography again combined with my birding, but look at me now with my little digi job and those improvised methods.

    Bob....Thanks, the Turnstone is one of my favourite waders, with some beautiful plumage to show in flight.

    Noushka....I really hope you can get over here one day, and I'd like to think I can look forward to that.

    Brian....The little black book gets some good use at times. The Conder Barn Owl is regular take it from me, you just have to be lucky and there at the right time.

    ReplyDelete