BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 8 May 2016

Missing Out.

Unfortunately I missed yesterday's arrival of migrants, in particular that of the mass influx of Spotted Flycatchers, and Friday was another of those 'grab a couple of hours when you can' days, to be honest I missed all the action and wasn't able to give my birding much justice in the time available....can't win 'em all.

Common Tern. Conder Pool 6 May. Pete Woodruff.

But it didn't take long for me to get excited when I stepped up to the viewing platform at Conder Pool to find two Common Tern had arrived and taken an interest in the accommodation availability.

Great-crested Grebe. Conder Pool. Pete Woodruff.


Also on the pool, 12 Tufted Duck and the female Wigeon noted, with 35 Black-tailed Godwit over and heading to the Lune Estuary, do these birds not have a flight to Iceland booked! The Great-crested Grebe was again in residence, I reckon this bird takes regular days out from the canal basin at Glasson Dock. A single Common Sandpiper and 6 Dunlin were down the Conder channel.

My visit to Cockersands wasn't really practical in the circumstances, but I saw 2 Whimbrel and 4 Little Egret, with 19 Eider, and a Red-breasted Merganser off Plover Scar, and I saw another Lapwing off Slack Lane with a single young bird.

The header and photograph in the post marks a major event in our recording area, that of the arrival of the Common Terns on Conder Pool, hopefully for the third breeding of the species to follow the success over the past two years at Conder Green in north Lancashire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment