BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK RIVER CONDER HOWARD STOCKDALE

Thursday 20 October 2016

Birdwatching.

You can tell I was struggling for a title....couldn't you!


Little Grebe. Peter Rhind.

The count was better than of late when I found 11 Little Grebe at Conder Green yesterday, with seven seen on Conder Pool and four in the creeks where I also saw the Common Sandpiper, 12 Snipe, 6 Goosander, and up to 100 Teal. It was good to see Peter and Sue Rhind again yesterday, with a nice shot of one of the Little Grebe's on Conder Pool. 

A late Swallow was over Conder Pool, thankfully for it's sake it was flying in the right direction south and the weather forecast is looking favourable for the bird too. Also on the pool, 4 Snipe, the lone Black-tailed Godwit, 46 Black-headed Gull, a Buzzard soared overhead, and c.60 Curlew dropped in as I left. I didn't get to the Lune Estuary until the tide had drowned the area, but 42 Snipe counted and a Red Admiral few by.

It was good to see 26 Whooper Swan had arrived off Pilling Lane Ends, with least 50 Pintail, 6 Snipe, and 2 Rock Pipit of note, another 21 Whooper Swan in flight over in the Bank End area seen from here.


Mediterranean Gull. Cockers Dyke. Pete Woodruff.

Along the coastal path from Fluke Hall to Cockers Dyke, 2 adult Mediterranean Gull seen, one off Ridge Farm with another at Cockers Dyke where I saw 78 Golden Plover, also another 20 Whooper Swan seen to the west on Preesall Sands, with my second Red Admiral of the day, c.60 Pink-footed Geese in a field at Fluke Hall were the only geese I saw on the visit.


Golden Plover. Cockers Dyke. Pete Woodruff.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pete,
    Yes, birds have their routes but sometimes an individual will get lost and one can find it a weird area!
    I was quite pleased to have seem this Grey plover, a species we can see in France only at migratory times. As you well pointed out the dark armpits, I have no doubt you have a great knowledge of birds... one has just to read your incredible reports! :)
    What I am getting at is my future post about a pipit. As it is quite yellowish I was wondering about the species although I think it could well be the Meadow pipit.
    I will publish the pics this evening around 17h30: I would much appreciate you skill, opinion and maybe confirmation! ;-)
    Many thanks for your comments while I am away... and I am quite often!
    Kind regards and enjoy the end of the week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for your kind words Noushka. However, I'm not quite as far up the ladder of knowledge that you credit me for but thank you very much for doing so.

    It's good to see you loving and photographing the wildlife as you do.

    Kind Regards.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pete for your answer between the lines about my Meadow pipit!!
    As I looked again at your photos on this post, I am in awe with the number of Golden plovers on the last pic. It is such a rare appearance on the Atlantic coast, we only see a few individuals at migration times.
    I have to come one day in your area with my big baby to photograph the wonders -and waders- there!
    But travelling alone now that my husband departed is a bit more difficult.
    Do Eiders winter in your area or close by?
    Kind regards and enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because the possibility of losing a return due to a huge number of hungry birds, when you can cover the trees with antiuccelli organize? Here there are chances for the bird protection, winged creature knit and ensuring feathered creature.

    ReplyDelete