BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 11 April 2017

Coming & Going.

Avocet Brian Rafferty 


Following a text last Thursday, I received another one yesterday with the same message, that a pair of Avocet had arrived on Conder Pool, but by the time I got to Conder Green on Thursday, the birds had done a runner and were never seen again, but yesterday was different, the Avocet were still on Tern Island when I got there, but guess what, the birds had disappeared when I returned to Conder Green five hours later....Now you see us, now you don't. 


Spotted Redshank. Pete Woodruff.

On the marsh at high tide, Greenshank and the now considerably darker Spotted Redshank, this photograph was taken at Conder Green last year on 21 April, almost certainly the very same bird. Also on Conder Pool, 2 Common Sandpiper seen, with a Goosander also noted. The Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock was almost deserted, but last Friday's 19 Eider seen again, also a Great-crested Grebe. My second Swallow was over fields along Jeremy Lane. 

It was actually more like January along the headland at Cockersand, though it was sunny the westerly howler took the edge off the day and I was in my 'why am I doing this' mode. Thirty Turnstone were on Plover Scar, and up to 400 Golden Plover were again in the field by Abbey Farm, with 2 Wheatear, 2 Skylark, 4 Tree Sparrow, and my third Swallow over fields on the circuit.

The flooded field had gone off the boil, and just one Whooper Swan appears to be left with 21 Mute Swan and 3 Shoveler drake.

The best is yet to come!

Thanks for the Avocet Brian, four more birds and much more elegant looking than the two sleeping birds I saw on Conder Pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment