BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 31 May 2017

Some You Win, Some You Lose.

Hard to believe, but 10 years ago to the day on 31 May 2007, I found an excellent 130 Sanderling on Plover Scar, a record not yet repeated, and to be honest I'm not holding my breath. 

I never fail to get myself to Plover Scar around this time of the year to see if I can connect with the migrant Sanderling, and that's why I found myself on the there an hour before high tide yesterday. But as if to show just how unpredictable birds can be, I had the place to myself right up to leaving at high tide with not a wader in sight.

But there's time yet for the Sanderling to turn up on Plover Scar early June, so I'll need to try to get there maybe a couple more times before I give up for another spring on the Sanderling stopping off on Plover Scar for a breather as they move north to their High Arctic breeding grounds.


Sanderling/Dunlin. Howard Stockdale.

Howard had 11 Sanderling on Plover Scar Saturday. Thanks for the images Howard, I was three days too late yesterday....but I did see c.175 Ringed Plover and 32 Dunlin hunkered down on a bare patch in the field behind Lighthouse Cottage, 3 Great-crested Grebe and 4 Eider off Crook Farm, and the summering 3 Whooper Swan still in their chosen field, with 5 Skylark, a Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat seen around the junction.

The Conder Pool Avocet.

I could only allow myself a couple of hours birding, and I'd called at Conder Green on my way to Cockersand, but returned later to find 8 Avocet on Conder Pool, with two birds still sitting, another two with chick/s, and a fourth pair looking like they intend to set up camp, in fact I reckon they may well nest on the front edge of the 'boxed' island straight out from the viewing platform. 

An unwelcome visitor dropped by in the form of a Grey Heron, which was instantly mobbed by all eight Avocet, 2 Common Tern, and a few Black-headed Gull. I left before seeing any result from the mob which weren't making any impression on having the Heron get the message it wasn't welcome. 

Two Stock Dove, a Little Grebe, a Great-crested Grebe, and 96 Black-tailed Godwit on the back terrace were also of note on Conder Pool. 

The B5290 Oystercatcher.


                                      Yesterday                                                     Today

No comments:

Post a Comment