BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Saturday 18 May 2019

Late News....Again.

There was a peak count of 10 Avocet at Conder Green on Thursday, five in the creeks, and five on Conder Pool which brings me to believe only the one bird was still sitting. I saw a Common Tern briefly on Conder Pool, it was on the right hand end of one of the newly constructed islands behind the pontoon, but the next time I looked it had disappeared and I didn't see it again. Until I saw this bird it had been missing for two days with no sightings. Also of note on the pool, a Common Sandpiper and 3 Black-tailed Godwit. On a brief wander Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler.


Ringed Plover/Dunlin Plover Scar. Pete Woodruff.

At the high tide roost on Plover Scar it was good to find 3 Sanderling, seen as a wader with the status of being an uncommon passage migrant at both spring and autumn periods, and rare winter visitor in our recording area. Also on the scar, up to 550 Dunlin and 65 Ringed Plover, 3 Eider where off here.


Little Ringed Plover. Pete Woodruff.

I decided on a detour on the way back to Lancaster and went to Aldcliffe for a short 30 minute circuit. It was a good idea if only because I found 3 Little Ringed Plover along the edges of the Wildfowlers' Pools, with 2 Gadwall drake, and also noted 3 Whitethroat, a Chiffchaff, and 2 Song Thrush.

Thanks to Ian Mitchell for another of his Avocet images he kindly sent me in the new header.

No comments:

Post a Comment