BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..............................................................................SCAUP CONDER POOL 5 MARCH PAUL ELLIS

Wednesday 22 September 2021

Excellent Hawker Haul Part 2.

Another excellent count of 47 Migrant Hawker along the canal towpath Conder Green - Galgate on Monday. I came within seconds of getting a picture of a pair coupled in the reeds, but they flew off. This brings the total to 90 Migrant Hawker in two visits along two sections of the canal for 3.5 miles.

Migrant Hawker Female. Pete Woodruff.

Also seen on the walk, 13 Common Darter including pairs, 9 Brown Hawker, and an Emperor Dragonfly male.

Brown Hawker. Pete Woodruff.

Not known for settling readily, this Brown Hawker did so for me, but for whatever reason, looked worn out, and with wing damage.

Birds seen along the way, 3 Grey Wagtail, a Jay and Nuthatch, up to 12 Long-tailed Tit working through the trees, a Buzzard mewing overhead, and a Little Egret came out of a ditch and flew off. Butterflies, 11 Speckled Wood and 2 Red Admiral.

Around dusk yesterday evening, a moth was on the Verbena as seen from our patio window. I dashed outside to find it was a Silver Y, and had my first attempt at night time photography with my Sony DSC-HX90V, and was reasonably pleased with some half decent results....

Coming to land

Taking nectar

We have lift off
And Finally....

I couldn't fail to note a new all time highest count of 27 Little Grebe on Conder Pool 19 September (FBC). 

3 comments:

  1. An interesting post, Pete. I'm particularly impressed by the Silver Y shots. Great stuff! Take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Migrant Hawker, it's just a beauty. Silver Y photos, fantastic Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard/Bob....Pleased you like the Silver Y piks. I was quite pleased with them too, night photography isn't my forte, I was trying something different.

    Take Care Stay Safe.

    ReplyDelete