BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK RIVER CONDER HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 30 January 2022

....And The Sunday Brents

Bowland Best Bits

Confined to barracks this past week, but I managed to keep myself occupied, including stitching some footage together to create a compilation of a few of the best bits to come out of Bowland in the past twelve months.

 

The Marshaw Wyre at Marshaw

Grey Wagtail towards Tower Lodge on the Marshaw Wyre

Common Sandpiper at Marshaw on the Marshaw Wyre

Catshaw Grieve falling down Hawthornthwaite Fell

Wheatear on Hawthornthwaite Fell

Barn Owl hunting the foot and surrounds of Hawthornthwaite 

Dipper at Stoops Bridge, Abbeystead

..........................................................................

Brent Geese.

View Full Screen

A walk along the promenade Sandylands to Heysham gave excellent views of 58 Brent Geese.

View Full Screen

Unfortunately there was much disturbance from the 'walkies fraternity' but my delight in seeing them overrode my annoyance. 

......................................................................... 

Aberrations in Dragonflies.

Migrant Hawker. Pete Woodruff.

Taken on the Lancaster Canal at Conder Green in September 2021, despite viewing this image of the male Migrant Hawker several times, I've not noticed until recently, it has blue markings missing on S4.

Southern Hawker. Copyright John & Carol Hurd.

I was given a link to another aberration, this male Southern Hawker has a blown headlight.

4 comments:

  1. Pete.Thanks for the Bowland and Brent videos.I hope to be able to get back to the wilds of Bowland one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I hope to be able to get back to the wilds of Bowland one day'....I think you should replace 'one day' with SOON. Good to see you looking in again on Birds2blog, much appreciated Brian.

    Kind Regards

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your compilation video, Pete - it was good to see those clips again. The Brent clips were much appreciated too.

    I wonder if those Migrant Hawker 'aberrations' were caused by damage, maybe from a would-be predator?

    Sorry to hear that you've been confined to barracks - nothing too serious I hope?

    With my very best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear you enjoyed the clips Richard. The Brent Geese was a special treat for KT and myself....magic moments.

    Re the dragonfly aberrations, one odonata correspondent said....'nature isn't always rigid when it comes to obeying the rules we set to identify it'....which puts all the scientific stuff to one side, and just about sums it up in a simple manner I thought.

    Kind Regards

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete