BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 28 August 2022

Dragons....And Some Other Interest.

I was off to Birk Bank on Friday, to find the barrier down and the traditional notice posted to let us know gunslingers were out and about. 


Ignoring the notice, I went under the barrier and on to the track to the bog to try to establish the state of play on the dragonfly front heading towards the end of August. To be honest, I thought perhaps the Four-spotted Chaser and Golden-ringed Dragonfly would be things of the past for another year, though last year I found one of the latter here on the very same date as this visit on 26 August, quite late for this species.

Keeled Skimmer Male. Pete Woodruff.

Today, I was pleased to find 2 Keeled Skimmer male, one of which I noted as a bright pruinose individual, this brought about the comment from a contact, of a feeling we now have a healthy population established at Birk Bank.

Black Darter Male/Female. Pete Woodruff.

The darters don't make accurate counting easy, they were most obliging coming to rest on the boardwalk during the time spent there, so for the several sightings of the species, my records read 'at least', 4 Black Darter male and a femaleAlso seen, 8 Common Darter male, and a female.

  
Common Darter Male. Pete Woodruff.

Other Interest.

One of the reliably seen Common Lizard was at rest on the boardwalk at Birk Bank, it barely moved for a couple of hours until it eventually disappeared.

Common Lizard. Pete Woodruff.

Mesembrina meridian. Pete Woodruff.

Easily recognised by its black body and yellow wing bases, I thought the Noon Fly was a cool looking creature basking on the boardwalk.

 
Harmonia axyridis. Pete Woodruff.

In the garden yesterday and initially had me guessing, Harlequin Ladybird larva.

Conder Pool 2022.

I'm not at liberty to publish numbers of breeding at Conder Pool, but I'm aware of excellent results for the Common Tern, by far the best year ever. Also successes for waders, Avocet, Little Ringed Plover, and Redshank.

Kittewake. Howard Stockdale.

There has also recently been some excellent goodies on and around the pool, with this Kittewake juvenile in the creeks 21 August, to follow 3 Black Tern juvenile 19 August, all preceded by the Temminck's Stint just sneaking in at the end of July to keep birders from near and far very happy for a few days during early August....Conder Pool Rules OK!     

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure that I shouldn't encourage you to wander into places where people have guns, Pete, but I can see from this post that it was more than worthwhile.

    I've not seen a Keeled Skimmer for far too long, and Black Darter for even longer, so my turn to turn green. That lizard shot is fabulous! Whenever I see a lizard, which is rarely, they shoot away as soon as I spot them.

    I remember seeing my first Noon Fly and thinking how wonderful that metallic gold on them looks.

    Take good care - most people with guns aren't nice people! Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard....I kept seeing a horrible pik of someone like the lunatic Botham in my mind when I saw the No Access Shooting in Progress notice. I thought the Noon Fly was a smart little critter when I saw it.

    Thanks for this Richard, with my Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dragonfly pics Pete. Have you seen any Broad-bodied Chasers at Birkenhead Bank this year.
    Is the Lizard re-growing the tip of its tail. I have seen several like this but with different lengths of what looks like regrow the.
    There were several Small Copper butterflies on Harrisend Fell the other day.
    Thanks for the great pics and update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry- Birk Bank - predictive text!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian....Haven't seen a BBC this year to be honest, let alone at Birk Bank Ian. The lizards tail is normal, but looks like new growth as you say, and good to hear Small Copper in decent number on Harrisend where I'm overdue a visit but intend to put that right very soon.

    Thanks for this Ian....Pete.

    ReplyDelete