BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 4 September 2022

Hardly Exciting!

Harrisend Stonechat Records 2022.

24 March 6 birds, 2xpairs, female, male

29 April 6 birds, pair, 4xmale

21 June 3 birds, 2xmale, female

1 Sept  male and female, a pair?

Only my fourth visit to Harrisend this year - too much chasing dragonflies - produced just 2 Stonechat found at the top of the ridge, a male and probably a female as opposed to a juvenile too distant to ID. This was just about as disappointing as it could have been, because a) just four visits is a positively depressing number, b) I have had no hard evidence of breeding here this year, though I would suggest four pairs have done so.

During this visit to Harrisend, I was surrounded by hyrundines the entire time spent there, at least 100 birds at one point, the large majority were House Martins with Swallows in the air hawking. In the end, I reckon 1,000 hyrundines were over Harrisend during the 3 hours there. Up to 10 Meadow Pipit, and similar 10 Linnet. Butterflies seen, 3 Red Admiral, 2 Small Tortoiseshell, and a Small Copper.

I decided to call in at Birk Bank to check for dragonfly left-overs to find a Common Hawker - barely 2mm in total length smaller than the Emperor Dragonfly - patrolling the rear of the bog, also 4 Black Darter males, 2 Red Admiral, and a Small Copper.

Conder Update.

With much thanks to Howard Stockdale, it was a pleasure and most rewarding for me to receive some illustrated news from Conder Green. 

Avocet Conder Green. Howard Stockdale.

The last three of Avocet young fledged earlier this week, some of the birds on Conder Pool have been colour marked again this year.

Juvenile Common Tern Conder Pool. Howard Stockdale.

All the terns had departed the Lune Estuary by the time I got to visit last Tuesday 30 August, but it gave me great pleasure to see this colour marked bird on Conder Pool courtesy of Howard.

I'm expecting a good haul of Migrant Hawkers before September is out....Here's hoping!

5 comments:

  1. There's no such thing as 'too much time chasing dragonflies' Pete! I have read your bit about the Common Hawker a few times and am wondering what you are saying - was it large and only slightly shorter than an Emperor? Or is there a typo and it was tiny (but not 2mm in total length)?

    I hope you get your haul of Migrant Hawkers - we've got plenty here!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates from around the patch.
    Nice to hear you saw something at Birk Bank I only saw a very small lizard last time I was there but I didn’t hang around as it looked like rain .
    Nice header picture of the Speckled Wood.

    Cheers Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps not my best example of grammar used Richard.

    I hadn't realised until I checked the measurements of both the Common Hawker and Emperor Dragonfly, that the former was little more than 2mm smaller than the latter, therefore appearing to be the same size in the field....Hope that puts me nearer the top of the English class than previously Richard.

    Best Wishes....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pete!!! Now is a good time to see other birds... I hope you enjoy the month of September with the migration... Greetings from Madrid...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ana....Hope you too enjoy the month of September and beyond.

    Saludos cordiales....Pete.

    ReplyDelete