BIRDS2BLOG....BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.......................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 18 December 2022

Iceland!

It wasn't the plan when I set out to do my estuary thing on Thursday, but the day soon became one that took account of how some of the birds I found where struggling with the freezing conditions of the past couple of weeks....Thankfully conditions have eased a little now.

The day started with my finally finding one of the Stonechat currently residing at Conder Green, with a bird seen at Conder Pool. 


These 8 Little Grebe - and a passing lorry on the B5290were taking advantage of an ice free area in the creeks, though I have to say, these grebes from Conder Pool have usually taken to the ice-free waters of the Lune Estuary by December.


The waders and wildfowl were really struggling with the frozen Conder channel and mud banks, and a small group of Redshank and Black-tailed Godwit together with a Snipe out in the open, appeared to be making futile attempts to find food on the now frozen marsh.

Along Jeremy Lane, up to 40 Whooper Swan of which notably, probably 25% were juvenile, they were with c.50 Mute Swan also desperately prodding at the grass in an attempt to feed....I saw not a single other Whooper Swan at Cockersand today.

At Cockersand, 3 Song Thrush seen, this one was with a Redwing searching the shingle. Also to note on a wander, 4 Stonechat, 9 Meadow Pipit, and 4 Wren.

Of 82 Pink-footed Geese in a field north of Bank Houses, 45 took to the wing to circle before settling again in the field.

This Robin was one of 10 Robin and at least 40 Blackbird I saw on the day at Glasson/Cockersand. I have no idea what it was up to walking around my feet. In the header image, the bird looks in good nick on the old iron railway bridge, but maybe it was on the lookout for a snack. 

For the wrong reasons it was a good days birding for me, though it wasn't good to see the struggling icebound birdlife. I hung around for one of those amazing Cockersand sunsets, to end the day with a mindful moment....Sound On!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas to you if there are no more blogs beforehand.
    I was at Cockersands just after dark on Thursday night (it’s a long and not interesting story) and parked near the caravan park. There seemed to be quite a lot of Whooper Swan noise out on the marsh opposite the caravan park and whilst walking to the abbey 7 Whoopers passed me heading in that direction.
    Thanks for the blog during the past year it has been informative and made interesting reading.

    All the best Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete. Your video clips were a real treat, with the one with the Little Grebes particularly delightful. It's worrying to see the birds struggling in such harsh weather. The very hard frost brought 23 species to feed in our garden yesterday. Now that it's turned warm (what a change!) I wouldn't be surprised if we only got around half that number today.

    I wish you and KT a happy Christmas. I think that Lindsay and I are in for a bit of a rough onee. She had a total knee replacement on 9th December, and I had to take her into hospital with DVT yesterday - not even sure she'll be out for Christmas at this point in time!

    Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian....Thanks for comments. I will be in touch with anything more to say to you Ian.

    Richard....Read above for anything more. Meanwhile Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete