BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 12 February 2023

First....A Plovers Tale.

The Grey Plover is at best scarce on the Lune Estuary, although it can be found in good number during the winter months not far to the north and to the south west of Cockersand. A couple of examples are, 525 at Middleton Sands, and 174 at Fluke Hall during this years January WeBS counts. In all my visits to Cockersand over many birding years, personal counts have only ever once exceeded single figures on Plover Scar, that of 14 Grey Plover 17 November 2017, and rarely on the Lune Estuary upstream from Glasson, I cannot recall ever seeing them there. 

Although the wind is a little annoying in this unsteady zoomed in clip, I decided not to mute so the feeling of real-time remains.

Finding 26 Grey Plover on Plover Scar was another first for me, and went some way to making my day. Also to note at Cockersand, 4 Stonechat seen, the pair at Bank Houses, and singles on Moss Lane east of Abbey Farm, and at Lighthouse Cottage. A mix of at least 50 Fieldfare and Redwing in the field behind Bank Houses, also two raptors seen, a Merlin over fields, and a Sparrowhawk over Slack Lane.

I counted 15 species in as many minutes on a very lively Conder Pool. With thanks to Howard Stockdale who saved me the trouble of counting by supplying the geese figures.

Stonechat Pair Conder Pool 9 February. Howard Stockdale.

The wintering pair of Stonechat, a Ruff and Greenshank, 2 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Pink-footed Geese, 88 Greylag, 34 Canada Geese, at least one each Reed Bunting and Goldfinch, a 'few' Wigeon and Tufted Duck, 2 Little Egret, 2 Little Grebe, a Grey Heron and a Kestrel. 

Making another one of my mis-timed visits to the Lune Estuary at Glasson, saw most of the waders and gulls driven off by the tide, though I noted about 40 Black-tailed Godwit hanging on, with c.350 Wigeon....The end of a most enjoyable and rewarding visit around the Lune Estuary.

Thanks to Martin for the header Reed Bunting, the image cropped with Martins permission, and which caused no loss of quality in my opinion, and to Howard for the Conder Pool duo of Stonechat.


Nice to see the Snowdrops, soon followed by the sight of a brilliant pair of Bullfinch in Lancaster Cemetery recently, also a beautiful cluster of half a dozen Daffodil's by the shore at Cockersand this week....'I wandered lonely as a cloud'....   

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update.
    Nice you seen that many Grey Plover I only tend to see the odd one or two.
    My visit to the cemetery yesterday didn’t see any Bullfinch but did turn up a Goldcrest and Nuthatch.

    The daffodils did cheer me up as well at Cockersands last time I was there.

    Regards Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sound really does give atmosphere to that video clip, Pete. I can't remember the last time I saw a Grey Plover, but it was in 2011 that I last photographed one, so possibly that was the last time! It was on Lindisfarne.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, nice record 26 Grey Plover Ian, you usually see them in the same single figure numbers as me. The little cluster of Daff's were a delight.

    Regards

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having never visited there, I would love to find Grey Plover or anything else on Lindisfarne.

    Regards

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pete!!!.. Lovely shots of stonechat... I hope you are well... Happy evening...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of early Stonechat movement since the first week of February Ana.

    Mis amables saludos.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete