BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................THRUSH DUO BOWLAND PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 13 April 2023

Surprisingly Ruff!

Being a scarce winter visitor, and an uncommon passage migrant in our area, the Ruff is a wader well up the list of my favourites. Tuesday was a good day for me, and being easily pleased, finding seven Ruff pretty much made my day....Happy Chappie!

Not only did I see the 12 month stayer around the Lune Estuary, but making a morning and afternoon visit on the day, the latter visit produced 2 Ruff, one in the creeks, the second in the midst of up to 400 Black-tailed Godwit on Conder Pool, in the company of 2 Bar-tailed Godwit and a few Knot. Also seen, 3 Little Ringed Plover, 3 Pink-footed Geese, and a few lingering Wigeon. On my way back to Lancaster, I counted 14 Avocet on my second visit to Conder Pool. Two Chiffchaff heard, one at the picnic area, the other along the coastal path. 

On the Lune Estuary which was quiet at low tide, 3 Avocet, 9 Eider, little more than 20 Back-tailed Godwit, and a drake Goosander

At Cockersand, I had to hope five waders seen to come down into the field east side of Abbey Farm, would hang around for half an hour whilst I got closer for more positive ID. Continuing on the circuit, when I arrived back at the opposite side of the field, the waders had moved even further away and gave me a run-around for fifteen minutes, but I eventually caught up with the birds which had latched on to 50 Starling with which they took to flight four times during the chase....I had been unsure, but was right all along, they were 5 Ruff.

Golden Plover. Pete Woodruff.

Off Slack Lane c.320 Golden Plover were in the main with breeding black underparts, including some male 'Northern' birds. I saw my first Swallow - three actually - two at Cockersand and one bird at Conder Green.

Common Sandpiper.

A Common Sandpiper was reported to me to be on Conder Pool on Tuesday, but I failed to locate the bird for myself. This bird is the first here since one seen 18 September 2022....Records per Ian Hartley.  

Common Sandpiper Marshaw 15 June 2021. Pete Woodruff.

Searching through my images, I find it hard to believe it has taken me so long to see that this Common Sandpiper bears a ring on its right leg....Well blow me over!

Breaking News....Adult Common Tern at Myerscough Quarry today 13 April.

3 comments:

  1. Seven Ruff is impressive, Pete. On my wish list is to see a male Ruff in full breeding plumage.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ruff certainly gave you the runaround but glad you satisfied your curiosity. The Golden Plover look smart in their breeding plumage. Yet to see my first swallow. Thanks for the pics and updates.
    Waiting for a decent day now to get out now back driving again.

    Cheers

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard....The Ruffs breeding plumage is about as variable as possible isn't it. Hope you don't have to wait too much longer.

    Regards....Pete.

    Ian....Next week should see you back driving again, with the forecast looking good.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete