BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND...................................................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 14 May 2023

Lost And Found.

The title not quite appropriate, but if you do decide to read on I think you'll get the gist of it.

My first visit to Harrisend since 7 April, needed a little determination to find 5 Stonechat, which means my records read 'a probable 3 breeding pairs on Harrisend 13 May'. Just 9 Meadow Pipit seen, compared to at least 34 on Harrisend 29 April last year, puts the species in my 'lost' section of the title.

Lesser Redpoll. Pete Woodruff.

The rubbish pik - my Sony camera died recently - was overtaken by the excitement of an opportunity for a grab shot of one of the 3 Redpoll seen. Also in the low number category was 4 Willow Warbler, with 2 Wren, a Reed Bunting, and a Raven overhead. A few Large White and a lone Peacock were the only butterflies seen. Also noted, a Red-tailed Bumblebee, and at Grisedale Bridge, I found 2 Stonechat female, and heard a Cuckoo in the area around Nicky Nook, annual here.

On Hawthornthwaite, I made a count of 5 Stonechat, this means another 'probable 3 breeding pairs' in my records. I made a count of 12 Meadow Pipit which seemed to correspond better than Harrisend with last year count of 10 seen on 29 April. Two Wheatear seen, and a Kestrel was in the centre between 2 Buzzard all hovering in a line above the ridge within a few metres of each other. A Cuckoo called, heard around the plantation to the west.

Sand Martin Cam Brow. Howard Stockdale.

I have to note, whilst the Sand Martin colony continue to thrive around the brook on Hawthornthwaite. With thanks to Howard Stockdale who reported 30 Sand Martin to me recently, I have doubts about the success of any at the bank on Cam Brook. Despite the notice 'Sand Martins breeding here' a family with two car loads of ten were enjoying their picnic at the site, including paddling in the stream, whilst the adults enjoyed the delights of throwing stones into the brook below the bank....Nice!!  

Local News.

In Lancaster Cemetery, a Bullfinch pair seen on Monday 1 May. This is the first breeding season record for the little black book here. Also as last year, the breeding Nuthatch found in the cemetery Cypress again, must keep tabs on these two records, in particular the Bullfinch.

I don't feel at liberty for too much detail, but the Avocet on Conder Pool have lift off for the breeding season, with chicks having put in a appearance. The Common Tern are looking determined for their ninth year, with a pair having taken a liking to the new raft, and one colour ringed bird returning to the pool for its third year.

The issue around the eradication of the Hen Harrier aside. For an insight to the kind of cruelty inflicted on our wildlife, I would urge you to....PLEASE READ THIS 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are finding Stonechats.
    Surprised you didn't find any Green Hairstreak at Hawthornthwaite, I had one land on my camera's viewfinder last week but it flew off before I could take a picture on my phone.
    Glad the Bullfinch are still around.
    Nice to see the one Tern pair using the new pontoon.
    Thanks for the update.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sory to hear of the demise of your camera, Pete. Have you plans to replace it or have it repaired?

    Ian's Avocet header is a real cracker!

    Had my first dragonfly for the year yesterday - White-faced Darter!!!

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian/Richard....Always read your comments with interest.

    Plans for a replacement camera are in place, but sluggish to come to a result. Some legal action against the company involved may have to be taken sooner or later. Can't say more than that at the moment Richard....Sore point!

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete