BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................THRUSH DUO BOWLAND PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 26 July 2023

Turned Out Nice Again!

A decent day on Monday, brought about a re-run of my day on 17 July, plus a wander along the canal towpath Glasson-Conder Green.

On Conder Pool, my count was of 20 Common Tern which were seen as 7 adult, 4 fledged juvenile, and 9 chicks of variable size on the pontoon. I saw 3 Avocet adult and 2 juvenile, 14 Greenshank were lined up at the back of the pool with 27 Redshank, a lone adult Little Ringed Ploverand a 1st summer Mediterranean Gull was hunkered down roosting at the back of the pool.

Setting off on my wanderings, I was reminded that the House Martin have failed to nest at River Winds this year, but six House Martin were seen around what was Cafe d'Lune now closed, with two nests active.

Saltcote Pond. Pete Woodruff.

Saltcote Pond is an attractive little waterbody, and a pair of Emperor Dragonfly obliged me today, the male patrolling whilst the female was ovipositing alone, the only Anax to do so without the male, the abdominal colour becoming obscured through oviposting is clearly shown in this footage. Also seen, 3 Common Blue Damselflyand a Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Along the canal towpath, several sightings of Common Tern adults searching for fish, and good numbers of Swallow seen, a Reed Warbler burst into song, Goldfinch were on thistles including juvenile birds, a lone Tree Sparrow came onto the path, and a Wren seen. Dragonflies, 7 Brown Hawker, and an Emperor Dragonfly.

Butterflies seen, 19 Gatekeeper, 8 on the canal and 11 from the viewing screen at Conder Pool, 12 Large White, 5 Speckled Wood, 4 Green-veined White, 2 Red Admiral, Peacock, Common Blue, and a Silver Y moth.

Conder Pool Terns.

One adult Common Tern seems to have been sitting on the nest forever, it was still there when I arrived on Monday and had been on three previous visits. Someone made a comment that it was rather late to still be on a nest at the end of July, but it's worth noting, the first ever Common Terns to come to Conder Pool, didn't arrive until 14 July 2014. This pair of terns successfully raised two birds which I followed through until I last saw them on the Lune Estuary on 12 September. I had previously watched the adults on the estuary, and my notes read that I observed a Common Tern on 9 September making 22 dives to catch a total of 18 fish.

Avocet CJ.

This bird fledged on Conder Pool 22 June 2023, interestingly it was sighted at Blacktoft Sands on Humberside a month later on 23 July. I'm grateful to Howard Stockdale for his continuing contribution with info and images.

8 comments:

  1. Your enviable dragon sightings, Pete, and that ovipositing Emperor clip have made me realise that I've not actually been out locally looking for dragons since 19th June! OK, so I was away for almost two weeks of that time, but much of my time seems to have been taken up with photo processing between various household maintenance jobs and medical visits. I must make more of an effort!

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased to see someone visited B2B, read the post, and commented, all within an hour of my publishing it.

    Do get out and find the dragons Richard, but with photo processing, maintenance work, and medical visits to deal with, please take it easy.

    Regards to you and Lindsey....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little video of the Emperor ovipositing and some good sightings had too. I could spent a few hours happily say by that pond. Looks good. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the excellent review on the video Marc, and yes Saltcote Pond is a little gem.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As per the other comments nice video of the Emperor dragonfly.
    I made roughly the same trip on Tuesday morning and on Saltcote pond saw the male Emperor dragonfly flying round but only briefly landed twice. I suspect I saw one and very briefly a second Ruddy Darter over Saltcote pond but they never settled to positively identify. The one I saw mainly was flitting between the pond and the canal over the high hedge. I saw it briefly again on the canal at the back of the pond but it again was very active and would not settle.
    Thought I saw a Holly Blue on the towpath but it was not my day for anything settling! A few Gatekeepers seen and a single Peacock and a Comma near the Mill Inn.
    There was a Kingfisher in the creek.
    Thanks for the update.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ian....Sounds to me like the Ruddy Darter is/was still around when you went on Tuesday, 50/50 chance it was that rather than Common Darter male. I had Common Blue butterfly at The Mill on Monday, and the Gatekeeper has exploded everywhere it seems.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pete!!! Beautiful place an great video... I hope you are having a good summer...Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the kind comment Ana. We are having a poor summer just now, but hope the weather will pick up again soon. Hope you haven't baked in 'sunny Spain'.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete