BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Thursday 28 March 2024

Conder Pool's Got Talent.

Good results at Conder Pool Tuesday, including my finally catching up with a count of 19 Avocet including a bird marked Yellow Flag 6V. Another excellent find was 5 Mediterranean Gull which were seen as 2xadult, 2x2nd summer, and one unaged out of view save a full black hood behind the island.

Distracted by the other excitement, I failed to get a count of the godwits which flew off before I could, but I made an estimate of up to 900 Black-tailed Godwit which were accompanied by the lone Bar-tailed Godwit which obviously thinks it is one of them, and up to 400 Knot, a number I've never seen on Conder Pool before.


Also present, a Greenshank, 6 Snipe, a pair of Shoveler, 4 Tufted Duck, and a Stock Dove. I also caught up with the Spotted Redshank away from the Lune Estuary this time it was on the River Conder at Conder Green.


At Cockersand, interestingly a Barn Owl was on a post as I arrived here, it was in the same area as I left 2 hours later. Up to 80 Meadow Pipit were in the stubble field off Slack Lane, mostly flighty and not easy to assess, also in the same area 22 Linnet. Off Plover Scar, 8 Eider, and 6 Small Tortoiseshell were within a few metres along the path behind the caravan park.

Avocet

Avocet Conder Pool. Howard Stockdale.

Yellow Flag 6V was ringed as a chick at Conder Green in Lancashire on 1 June 2021. This bird paid a visit to Alkborough Flats in Lincolnshire on 31 July 2021, to return to Eric Morecambe Pool Leighton Moss RSPB Reserve on 26 August. Another interesting sighting was that of 6V seen at Conder Green with two chicks on 12 June 2022. The bird was sighted multiple times in 2021/22/23 up until 26 March 2024 at Conder Green.

You can't fail to ponder and question, why would an Avocet ringed as a chick on 1 June, fly out of Lancashire to Lincolnshire, then fly back to Lancashire 26 days later on 26 August?

I am grateful to Ian Hartley for the info on Avocet 6V, and to Howard Stockdale for his record shot of 21 Avocet on Conder Pool 24 March....Clik the pik for a better view.

11 comments:

  1. As always, very impressive numbers, Pete. Super header image! Am I right in thinking that that's road traffic passing between you and the bird in the Spotted Redshank clip? I can't think of anywhere where I have stood to watch birds, with road traffic passing between me and the birds, unless the birds were at a very great distance on a hillside!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes road traffic on the busy B5290 with many lorries in and out of Glasson Dock. A curse if you are making a video as you can see. I was above road level on the viewing platform at Conder Pool.

    Thanks for looking in again Richard.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some impressive numbers seen. Must have been a lovely sight. Managed a few Stonechat shots the other day which are on my Nethergong blog. I know you have a passion for this species. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marc, must take a look at your images on the Nethergong blog. Looking forward to the dragon season taking off which will be later than yours down south.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  4. Nice header picture and video of the Mediterranean Gulls, I failed to spot them but found the shoveler and Spotted Redshank.
    Interesting about the ringed Avocet.
    Thanks for the update.
    Ian Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for compliments Ian. I have yet to find a way of editing video, for example the gulls were too dark against the light, and I can't brighten the video but working on it.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete. Just seen your response to Ian's comment. Have you tried the Windows 'Movie Maker' app? It's a free app. I use it for all my video clips - not that I make many! It's great for vibration/shake reduction and also has controls for brightness and white balance as well as other useful tools. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thanks for this Richard, will give it a try.

      Delete
    3. DaVinci Resolve (free version) is what I use it is free and very good, you can sharpen and just lighting, sound etc. the only downside is that it not very intuitive to learn but they are many you tube videos on it

      Delete
    4. Ian Mitchell

      Delete
  6. Have already tried two others since my comment to Richard, it seems none of them are very intuitive, but I did succeed in brightening a video. I will take a look at DaVinci Resolve.

    Thanks Ian....Pete.

    ReplyDelete