BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Friday 8 May 2009

I Confess.


BT called to collect me this morning and we made plans for the day and proceeded on our way but ten minutes later it was - well to be polite - 'peeing down' and we soon decided to scrap the plans and on BT's suggestion we, a) Go home, b) Go to Leighton Moss. OK, well I'm fully aware this is some sort of mortal sin if you're going to expect to be referred to by others as a 'proper birder' but its good to live dangerously now and again so in the hope BT wouldn't hear me I quietly said....Leighton Moss.

We saw absolutely nothing unexpected from the Lillian Hide though one of the male Marsh Harriers gave excellent views a couple of times, and 'good' numbers of Swift were around, but I did note a pair of Great - crested Grebe on here and make the claim that in all the years I have visited LM I've never personally seen evidence of this species breeding on here.

From the path to the Griesdale Hide Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler heard, and a Whitethroat seen. At the hide a drake Garganey was just found in time before it disappeared into some dark corner at the back of the pool. A Common Sandpiper, c.300 Black - tailed Godwit, and a Little Egret were to note.

At the car park a Garden Warbler was heard, and on the feeder (oh dear I'm reduced to viewing feeders now) a Nuthatch, male Bullfinch, Coal Tit, and a Marsh Tit for which its too much of an embarrassment for me to admit how long ago it is since I saw one of these.

At the Eric M'cbe Hide up to 30 Avocet were counted whilst I noted not a solitary bird was on a nest as far as I could observe and rightly or wrongly I've drawn my on conclusion on that one. In a further hour in this hide and a thorough search I found nothing else of note.

Like any self respecting visiting birder to LM we ended the day with views of the Peregrine Falcon at Warton Crag.

The pic of the Red Deer was taken from the Griesdale Hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment