BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Leggin' it again!


I adopted Plan B today as Plan A was put off for a later date 'cos I didn't particularly like the look of the weather for today which - by mid-afternoon - was more reminiscent of early March than almost early May.


I put in a few miles of legwork today, giving Aldcliffe - Stodday three hours and noting, 5 Whitethroat, a Lesser Whitethroat, 4 Blackcap, a Garden Warbler, a Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, c.15 Blackbirds, 11 Goldfinch, 7 Greenfinch, 3 Linnet, 2 House Martin, and 9 Eider on the River Lune, a Sedge Warbler surprised me a little in that I don't recall the species seen here before. I saw a Lapwing with one chick and crossed my fingers Mr Farmer will have no cause to enter the field for a while with his machinery, 2 Little Ringed Plover were on the flood, and if they're still on Freeman's Pools I couldn't find them but did find the litter mentioned by Aldclifffe regular GMc in his post HERE, the notice above doesn't seem to register with some....well it won't will it!

Swallow at Cockersands. Pete Woodruff. 

On Conder Pool a Little Ringed Plover put in an appearance and a now almost completely black Spotted Redshank also showed with 6 Redshank. The effort of a circuit of Cockersands was rewarded by a Wheatear, 7 Linnet, at least 6 Tree Sparrows around the Bank Houses paddock is a species I can't get to grips with re numbers here recently, 3 White Wagtail - should that read 'alba' - a singing Skylark and Sedge Warbler, a Lapwing this time had four chicks, and 17 Golden Plover flighting around appeared to be of the Northern race.
   
Dandelion. Pete Woodruff.

On Sunday I saw my first House Martin along the canal behind Haverbreaks, and on Monday my first 2 Swift were over Bowerham. Just the dandelion....but the beauty is in the colour.

MEGA NEWS. 

A Little Shearwater is on Lundy, Devon, apparently present c.1 week....must do some reading up on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment