BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Friday 15 March 2013

And Again!

I managed to sneak off again on Wednesday. Below I have added some of my sightings to Tuesdays birding in the same areas.


Common Sandpiper. Simon Hawtin.


This is just as I expect to see the Common Sandpiper sometime soon on the stream between Marshaw and Trough Bridge in Bowland, and I know of at least two areas where they are guaranteed and probably breeding again this year. Meanwhile, on Wednesday the wintering Common Sandpiper was on view obligingly on the near island on Conder Pool. 

Snipe. Simon Hawtin.

A Spotted Redshank, 8 Black-tailed Godwit, and a Snipe were also noted on Conder Pool.

As on Tuesday I counted at least 150 Black-tailed Godwit again, and 80 Goldeneye counted were twice the number I managed to find on Tuesday on the River Lune at Glasson Dock. Additions at Cockersands were, 3 Rock Pipit, 6 Eider, and a Little Egret. Ironically I found 3 Brown Hare squat close to each other in one of the Abbey Farm fields, the very fields the day before John Kellet had agreed with me the absence of these creatures in the area this year.


Cockersands Abbey. Peter Guy.

As well as an excellent birding location, with a visit to Cockersands you can also take a look at an impressive piece of history as this equally impressive piece of photography illustrates, and if you go on the right days during the months of September/October I reckon you'll see at least one Wheatear on these ruins, and if not, multiples of them on the headland....or your money back guaranteed! 

Many thanks for the Common Sandpiper and Snipe to Simon Hawtin who I regularly met in Bowland and Conder Green but who Iv'e not seen for some considerable time now. And to Peter Guy for Cockersands Abbey who I still 'bump into' now and again, coincidentally at both the Bowland and Conder Green locations. 

And finally....




I wanted to add some colour to Birds2blog and didn't need to look further than Ornitholidays for the Brassy-breasted Tanager in Brazil....WOW. As always, don't forget to 'clik the piks' for something much better. Thanks to Colin Bushell whose own website Ribble To Amazon is Here  

I'D SOONER BE BIRDING....but not since Wednesday and not until Monday, not good. 

4 comments:

  1. great find on the last bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can be found a little nearer to your home than mine.

    Thanks for your continued support on Birds2blog Adam, it is much appreciated as I hate writing to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pete.Nice photo on your previous blog of the lake hills JWB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like the 'Beauty and the Beast' pic John, appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete