BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Saturday 2 August 2014

We Have Lift Off....

....well having checked out the dates at Plover Scar in my little black book we should have!

The three Ringed Plover young I've been watching since finding them on Plover Scar at the beginning of the month, have now surely fledged, though I had no evidence of this on my last visit on Friday when I found them once again. This despite the perils of a place like Plover Scar where I had to confront - diplomatically you understand - a dog handler who came out on to the scar with six hounds despite seeing me obviously observing birds and actually walking through my field of view.

OK, so there was no more than 100 waders on here at the time, but that's not the point. To be fair when I approached him he seemed very understanding when I explained the situation and pointed out the need - particularly for the young birds - to be without the danger and disturbance of dogs roaming free. Asked if he could 'avoid the area for at least the rest of this week please' he said he would. 

Also on Plover Scar, c.60 Dunlin and c.40 Ringed Plover. A flock of at least 100 Tree Sparrow seen in the Bank Houses area with another small flock along Slack Lane, 2 Whimbrel were off Crook Cottage.   

Swift Arkive


An estimate of at least 400 'hirundines' were over a field at Cockersands, and were broken down to c.300 Swift, and 100 Swallow, with a 'few' House Martin and Sand Martin.

At Conder Green, 2 Common Tern, 2 Greenshank, a Spotted Redshank, 2 Little Grebe, c.350 Redshank came on to the pool as the tide pushed them off the estuary, with 6 Dunlin and a Snipe noted. Five Common Sandpiper and a Little Egret were in the creeks, and there was at least 20 House Martin around River Winds and Cafe d' Lune, with up to eight nests at the two buildings. I located a Whitethroat nesting in brambles opposite the entrance to the Caravan Park.

Absent without leave.


Little Ringed Plover Noushka Dufort

The Little Ringed Plover, of which I've seen only one at Conder Pool this year, an adult on 30 May and not since. Thank you Noushka....Excellent. Also, many thanks to Paul for the new header of the brilliant little RNP....yes, brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment