BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Now you see me....

....now you don't.


The Conder Common Terns had us fooled yesterday morning. I had an e-mail from a Fylde birder to tell me there was no sign by just after ten o'clock, and when I arrived at mid-day....no sign. But leaving my scope trained on the nest site I eventually picked up a black cap, followed by a red bill and....there she blows. The bird was squat and hidden by the vegetation which is going to make it difficult to see any chicks which should be there by this weekend according to my mathematics.

Humble though it may be, the Conder Green list for Monday looks like....

On Conder Pool, a Common Tern still sitting on the island, also 3 Little Grebe, and a Little Egret. In the creeks, a Greenshank, a solitary Black-tailed Godwit, 5 Common Sandpiper, and in the channel downstream from the rail bridge, c.400 Redshank and a 'few' Dunlin

On the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock, the number was swelled by the birds from the Conder Channel which I watched fly off to join and make a total of c.600 Redshank, 25 Dunlin, and a Little Egret.

At Cockersands, the high tide was at 5.33pm, was a relatively low 7.80m, with the sun directly into my eyes, all making for a not so perfect set of circumstances for observing birds, but I managed to estimate at least 200 Dunlin, and 8 Ringed Plover including a juvenile.


Yellow Wagtail Martin Jump 

Prior to the Plover Scar session I did a wander along the headland to be rewarded by a juvenile Yellow Wagtail in the field behind Bank House Cottage. I also noted c.20 Goldfinch and 60 Tree Sparrow. Thanks for the photograph Martin, my bird was a juvenile but I'm pleased you was granted access to see this excellent adult Yellow Wagtail.  

Over the same field as last Thursday, I again estimated 'hirundines' virtually all of which amounted to 300 Sand Martin with a 'few' Swallow, House Martin and a single Swift seen....This field/area is presumably producing an emergence of insects.


  Common Tern Brian Rafferty  

I don't think we will be able to see the Common Terns on Conder Pool at this stage, but it would be nice if we did. Thanks for the image Brian, much appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Two adult Common Tern, acting as a pair, at Sunderland Point yesterday (Wednesday) morning at about 1015hrs

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!
    You also are busy watching and counting!
    I just watch and trigger!!
    Well done Pete!
    Conder Pool seems very attractive for birds and birders!
    Keep well, hope the weather is better in England, here still not much light... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete....Thanks for the comment re Sunderland Common Terns. I've made a small contribution on the LDBWS website.

    Noushka....Thank you for your interest and comments on Birds2blog, they are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete