BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Saturday 13 December 2014

Well At Least I Tried!

Goldeneye Arkive  

I managed my best so far this winter when I counted 48 Goldeneye on the River Lune at Glasson Dock yesterday.



Also of note, up to 200 Dunlin seen close from the bowling green on the incoming tide, not a particularly impressive number but again one of the best counts I've had here this winter so far. Nothing else to enthuse but I noted 2 Red-breasted Merganser. The unfortunate broken right wing Snow Goose gave excellent views walking across the mud on the north side of the river opposite the bowling green, and distant uncounted Pink-footed Geese and Greylag on Colloway Marsh probably didn't amount to more than 200 birds.

Conder Pool didn't have 50 birds in view, with 10 Little Grebe counted, the Common Sandpiper seen, 3 Tufted Duckand 35 Mallard at rest on the near island. Off Moss Lane I saw a small flock of Fieldfare again as last Thursday with probably no more than 30 birds, also at least 55 Whooper Swan in a distant field from here. 

The visit to Cockersands was a disaster, the icy howler in my face from the west was a bit like the CIA had got hold of me for interrogation. I got from Crook Farm to Cockersands Abbey before it got the better of me to retreat back to the motor, barely noting a pretty even mix of 400 Golden Plover and Lapwing in total in an Abbey Farm field, and a Kestrel overhead.

Well at least I tried!

The 'mutt problem' rages on. 

The English Dictionary definition of mutt is....

1) A dog, especially a mongrel. 2) A stupid or foolish person.


Cool Dude. Pete Woodruff. 

The Shore Lark at Fleetwood is still pleasing birders at Rossall Point. This despite being reported as being repeatedly disturbed by human traffic with mutts on the beach. I also find regular reports of the same kind at locations in our recording area....All unacceptable when any disturbance of birds is involved and needs to be outlawed. 

6 comments:

  1. Is the snow goose a victim of wildfowling? It was OK for a good while when it first arrived

    Cheers

    DaveyMan

    ReplyDelete
  2. ......Or was the snow Goose a victim of ''those bloody Mutts''! Got a whole pack of dog walking drongo's here too pete :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave....The Snow Goose first found on Colloway Marsh 22 November was reported then to have a damaged wing. I'm interested in how you come to claim it was OK when it first arrived.

    Warren....They are a curse, nothing less than a curse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the petition. The time to ban recreational shooting of birds is well overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pete - I hadn't picked up that the SG was injured from the off, think I noticed the report of the injury half way through its stay. Probably should visit LDBWS website more often, wouldn't have missed the info then.

    Cheers

    DaveyMan

    ReplyDelete
  6. David....You are absolutely right about recreational shooting being banned. I have much more to say on this subject, but saving it for the front page sometime.

    Dave....I was interested in your claim the bird was OK on it's arrival, now I understand why. Thanks for this Dave.

    ReplyDelete