BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Saturday 3 January 2015

Buses, Boots, And Binos.

The last days birding of 2014 for me was on Tuesday, the initial plan was to walk along the River Lune from Skerton Bridge in Lancaster, do a loop of Aldcliffe and return back to Lancaster, in the end I walked all the way to Glasson Dock.....as it turned out, quite a good decision. 

This is an excellent 5 mile birding walk on which today I encountered - and noted in the little black book - a few thousand gulls and waders, Oystercatcher/Curlew/Lapwing/Golden Plover/Redshank/Dunlin, and good numbers of small birds not all noted here below....

Song Thrush. Martin Lofgren @ Wild Bird Gallery

Highlights were seeing 3 Song Thrush together - not an every day occurrence these days - finding 40 Blackbird along the way, with 12 Robin another excellent count, at least 90 Redwing in a field adjacent to Ashton Golf Club. On the river in Lancaster I found 4 Goldeneye and 6 Goosander, and on Freemans Pool, notable were 6 Gadwall, a duck I'm always pleased to see, and a Sparrowhawk flew across the pools. Around the mainly frozen wildfowlers pool I noted 22 Moorhen pecking away in a line.  

White-fronted Geese Jan Larsson 


Frustration took a hold on Aldcliffe Marsh when I picked out a distant Barnacle Goose with c.150 Canada Geese, and five smaller geese which were obviously 5 White-fronted Geese, but which instantly took off the minute I put my binos up and disappeared over the by-pass road towards the fields around Oxcliffe Road where I could see a 'few thousand' Pink-footed Geese in the air. 

Also noted along the coastal path, 3 Greenfinch, 2 Dunnock, 2 Mistle Thrush, and a Meadow Pipit. By the time I got to Conder Green dusk was setting in, but I picked up the Common Sandpiper in the creeks, and in the semi darkness I saw 10 Little Grebe, six in the creeks and four on Conder Pool. I then had to hot foot it to Glasson Dock....my bus was due.

Thanks to Martin and Jan for their photographs, they are much appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. You always manage to post birds I've never even seen before, but I really like hearing about them. I saw a pair of Stonechats at Leasowe on the Wirral today and thought you would like to know about them. I hope you had a really nice Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of birds around there, but what a grand showing of geese, my fave is the Pink-footed Geese, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!
    This is much more than what I see in my area!! I think I should come and visit your place! LOL!
    Many thanks for your kind comment Pete, I wish you a great 2015 year and many super observations!
    Keep well!

    ReplyDelete