BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................PLOVER SCAR LIGHT AND BLACK COMBE OVER THE BAY PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 25 January 2015

Short....But Sweet As Ever.

A bit too brief on Thursday for my liking, but I could only allow myself a short birding break, all of it around the high tide.

From the viewing platform at Conder Green I noted 10 Little Grebe and 2 Goldeneye on Conder Pool with a Reed Bunting close by, c.250 Pink-footed Geese went over south. On the canal basin at Glasson Dock, the drake Scaup still and a Little Grebe seen, at least 50 Goldeneye were on here, but I saw a report of 61 Goldeneye here last Wednesday exceeding the peak count for the Lune Estuary of 60 made on 8 January.

On the estuary, at least 450 Black-tailed Godwit were my highest count here this winter, a Little Grebe and Great-crested Grebe were my only other notes. Up to 1,300 Pink-footed Geese were on Jeremy Lane.

At Cockersands I got no further than Plover Scar today to see 75 Turnstone, I watched a single Black-tailed Godwit fly in with some of the Turnstone, and 14 Eider were off here. On my way back from the scar I saw a Rock Pipit, 3 Wren, and a Reed Bunting.

And Finally....


White-tailed Eagle Gary Jones 


Never prepared to publish a post without at least one accompanying photograph, this 'clik the pik' one I couldn't resist for the sheer beauty of this magnificent creature and the excellent image of it thanks to Gary.

Thanks to Ana Minguez for the brilliant photograph of the Black Redstart in the header image. 

2 comments:

  1. It's brilliant Gary....bird and photography.

    It was always going to end up on Birds2blog sooner or later with my appreciation.

    ReplyDelete