BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 16 August 2016

The Last Push.

Probably my last visit up Clougha Pike this year, though I may just squeeze in one more before the end.


Stonechats. Gary Jones on Facebook

There was a little reward for the slog up here yesterday, with the sight of 3 Stonechat which were seen as a lone female on Clougha, and a male and single young on the top of Birk Bank, despite my hanging around a while I found no others with these two, though time and determination may well have uncovered more of a family group gone to ground.

I was well satisfied with the other 22 rewards - this is upland birding remember - with 11 Meadow Pipit, 4 Wheatear, 3 Red Grouse, 2 Raven went honking over, changing direction a couple of times, before flying east to soar over Clougha summit. Raptors seen, a Sparrowhawk, and about five Kestrel sightings were maybe all of the same bird. Butterflies were, 5 Red Admiral, 4 Painted Lady, 4 Peacock, and singles of Small Tortoiseshell and Meadow Brown.


Common Darter. Birk Bank 15 August. Pete Woodruff.

I looked over the bog on the way to Clougha, and called back five hours later on the way back down. In perfect sunny, hot, and very calm conditions both visits, I found up to 8 Common Darter including a pair in tandem ovipositing....


Black Darter. Birk Bank 15 August. Pete Woodruff.

....a male Black Darter....


Black Darter (female). Pete Woodruff.

....and what I think is a female Black Darter seen briefly on the board-walk in the small and poor quality picture above.

Thanks for the Stonechats Gary, much appreciated. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pete!! I love Stonechat.. I´m photographing a lot of on these days.. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete