BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 8 December 2019

Saturday Birds.

Redwing. Howard Stockdale.

I was grateful for some images from Howard. He decided to add a seasonal message to the Redwing he saw in the frosted grass on Moss Lane recently. Clik the pik, it's bigger and better if you do.

I just wanted to do a circuit of Cockersand, but it was a bit of a non-starter, but no good me calling it a birdless session as I would immediately contradict that by saying, from entering Jeremy Lane, through Moss Lane, Slack Lane, all the way to Bank Houses and on the coastal path to Bank End, there was in excess of 300 Fieldfare, in flocks of between 50-100. There are Redwing with these birds, but I've yet to actually see them to ID them as such.

There are also Bewick's Swans - three yesterday north of Moss Lane (LDBWS) - with the c.250 Whooper Swan I saw again yesterday, always too distant and inaccessible, though a herd by Moss Lane were close by. I met a birder said he was up from Wigan, was targeting the Bewick's Swan, and asked if he could get nearer to the Whoopers to find any other than a trespass through the fields.

Good numbers of waders in the fields at Cockersand again, though nothing like the thousands seen of late and no sign of any Golden Plover, but 180 Black-tailed Godwit and at least 120 Curlew noted. No sign of the Black-necked Grebe, nor the Stonechat pair seen on three previous visits, but good to see the female reported here (LDBWS).

Like I said....a bit of a non-starter, but you can't win'em all, and what was I doing birding on Saturday anyway, who me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment