BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 5 April 2023

A Few More Estuarine Delights.

Conder Pool came good again on Monday, and with apologies for rabbiting on about the Ruff, and a promise to try and never mention it again, it/one has finally run the 12 month course for the first time ever around the Lune Estuary.

There was up to 20 Avocet on Conder Pool, and the impressive sight of up to 900 Icelandic Back-tailed Godwit, some in near stunning rufous summer plumage, they were accompanied by a 'few' Knot, also 3 Little Ringed Plover, and a Greenshank.

When I called in 4 hours later on the estuary at Glasson, presumably the Conder Pool near 1,000 Black-tailed Godwit were present with c.250 Knot, 4 Avocet seen, and a Great Crested Grebe was to note.

Despite the routine circuit at Cockersand, nothing riveting to note, but c.40 Linnet were accompanied by a lone Reed Bunting, flighty in and around the stubble field, with 2 Stock Dove, 13 Eider were off Plover Scar. Insects to note here, I saw my first 3 Small Tortoiseshell and a Buff-tailed Bumblebee.

You Can Help The Birds.

Don't worry about the birds, they can look after themselves, even if they can't rest and conserve energy when the tide is high, or feed and even breed on Plover Scar like the Ringed Plover on the notice board does.   

Just carry on and do your birding and taking piks....Enjoy!

Moths.

Ian Mitchell does the decent thing and sends me brilliant images of brilliant moths in his trap two days in a row.

Hebrew Character. Ian Mitchell.

Early Thorn. Ian Mitchell.

And Finally.


Red Kite. Martin Jump.

Martin calls this image 'a poor distant one' of the Red Kite yesterday in Bowland. I call it an excellent record of one....Thanks Martin.

And I can record 2 Ring Ouzel yesterday in Bowland.

5 comments:

  1. Wow 20 Avocets on Conder Pool bet that was a site along with the Black Tailed Godwit.
    Pity the second Ruff didn't stay on as well.

    Glad about the Ring Ouzels it is years since I last saw one.

    A few years ago I had 2 Red Kite fly over my house making there way towards Bowland but by time had got camera they had gone.

    Thanks for the update.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll see Ring Ouzel this year 'cos I'll take you to see them if you wish, just say the word Ian.

    Regards

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remain a fairly bright shade of green over your sightings, Pete, but at least I managed to see Avocet this week, for the first time in nearly six years! The numbers were similar to your own sighting, although I didn't count them. I was almost in the same boat as Ian with the Ring Ouzels, but did manage to twitch three of them only about 10 miles from my home almost exactly two years ago.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a reminder of my comment about a week ago Richard, 'do please let me know if your plans to visit become mature, it would be a pleasure to show you around'.

    Keep on keeping on with the new gear Richard.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Pete, for that very kind invitation. I suspect that a visit is out of the question for this year, but maybe it will happen next year.

    ReplyDelete