BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 20 April 2023

The Cockersand Shortlist.

If I'm honest, theres a shortage of enthusiasm for this post.

But hey....a days birding never fails to turn up at least a little something of interest, and my interest on Tuesday was that I found an impressive c.250 Linnet, flighty in and around the stubble field behind Lighthouse Cottage, where 65 Golden Plover were still lingering. From Slack Lane, I heard Raven with its repeated deep 'korrp-korrp' call. My first Whimbrel flew by off Plover Scar from where I saw a lonely pair of Eider, soon followed by my first Cockersand Wheatear, an area which usually produces my first of the year.

Pied Wagtail. Pete Woodruff.

Pied Wagtail were notably seen in small number, but no continental birds with grey backs yet. Skylarks were seen throughout my walk on the circuit, and a skein of c.300 Pink-footed Geese flew south....obviously not yet read the script to go north!

Conder Pool

With management work being carried out, Conder Pool was a no go zone when I called there in the morning. Looking in on there a few hours later on my way back to Lancaster, there was little of note save c.80 Black-headed Gull obviously determined to stand their ground. We will not, we will not be moved....but everything else seemed to have been.

Mediterranean Gull Conder Pool 16 April. Howard Stockdale.

On 14 April I found two stunning Mediterranean Gull, two days later a different adult pair were seen and photographed behaving in a manner in the image above, indicating the possibility of breeding on Conder Pool. Later the same day, this was followed by a conclusive report of a bird with nesting material. 

5 comments:

  1. I never cease to be impressed by the (what, to me are) huge numbers of some of the bird species that you are seeing, Pete.

    Howard's Med Gull images are gorgeous!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding high numbers, you will be referring to the c.250 Linnet, which is the best count I have ever made of the Linnet, and equals just one other record - not mine - in 2021 at Glasson Marsh.

    Howard's gulls are indeed gorgeous as you say Richard.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good video of the Mediterranean Gulls hope they nest and breed.

    Thanks for the update, as always interesting.

    Regards - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry video was from previous post. Nice pictures from Howard though.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sincerely hope they breed on Conder Pool too.

    Hope you keep well Ian.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete