BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 2 April 2023

Stonechat Invasion.

On 7 February I received email messages from two reliable birding friends. The messages were info about Stonechats seen in areas where no wintering birds had been found, and both went on to suggest that Stonechat migration had already taken off. 

But no-one could possibly have expected the truly spectacular phenomenon that was about to unfold so soon in the calendar in the first week of February to continue to the end of March.

Stonechat Moss Lane 3 March. Howard Stockdale.

Over 54 days from 7 February - 2 April, I have collected records from two sightings pages, in the main FBC and to a lesser degree LDBWS. I have recorded a staggering 394 Stonechat, all individual birds with no duplicate counts. Included in this extraordinary number of birds in such a short space of time, is the count of 112 Stonechat, including 14 seen in a couple of hours birding one day by the ever reliable AC.

History is in the making here, and repeating itself too....

The Stonechat in the LDBWS recording area, enjoyed a dramatic upturn in status 24 years ago in 1999. But it was short lived, and by 2007, numbers in the uplands of Bowland had started to decrease, with just 4 pairs and a maximum of 8 young on Clougha in 2010. Following two consecutive harsh winters in 2010/11, the decline was mirrored in my records, with only Hawthornthwaite producing one pair with 5 young. Records for 2012 showed no real recovery of the Stonechat in Bowland, and the fact that just two were found on Clougha during 2012 this situation continues today. Though breeding activity can be found at many upland sites, my experience says the population at the prime sites at Clougha/Birk Bank didn't and still hasn't recovered to their glory days of early 2000....But 394 on spring passage in 2023, seems to me to say all this is about to change.

Thanks to Simon Hawtin for his stunning image of the track off Hawthornthwaite Fell....True Stonechat country.

........................................................................

  

The Herald. Pete Woodruff.

I always enjoy finding a moth now and again, especially if it's one I haven't seen before like this Scoliopteryx libatrix. A moth that can be mistaken for a dead leaf when resting head-down in vegetationthough this one not having survived its winter hibernation.  

4 comments:

  1. Glad the Stonechats doing well Pete.
    Things seem to be waking up now saw my first butterflies today along with a splendid male Bullfinch.
    Shame about the Herald moth, I have yet to have one in my trap.

    Thanks for the update.

    Regards Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you, and got your e-mail too thank you.

    Keep on keeping on Ian.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased to hear the promising news about Stonechat, Pete. I fully understand how exciting this must be for you (and for me too!).

    Had a Comma and Speckled Wood in my garden yesterday, and a couple of Dark-edged Bee-flies today. Spring is sprung - but it's still a bit chilly.

    Interested to see that Herald. I saw my first one on 10th July, 2021 - caught in my portable trap when I was on holiday in the New Forest. Had my second (and last) one, just 8 days later in the trap at home!

    Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you had your Comma/Speckled Wood in the garden, and the Dark-edged bee fly, I have yet to find my first.

    Astounded by the Stonechat passage as you can see Richard.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete