BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 19 July 2023

Life On The Pool.

Conder Pool.

There was probably 400 birds on Conder Pool when I arrived there on Monday, at least 50% were 250 Redshank, with a large male Ruff in near black summer plumage, also 12 Greenshank, c.30 Dunlin, and a solitary Black-tailed Godwit.

A count of 24 Common Tern represents a good breeding season this year, which I don't have details for. Nine chicks were on the pontoon and six fledged birds seen on the wing, and at least 10 adult including birds seen as I walked the coastal path back and forth to the Lune Estuary with fish.

Avocet CA enjoys some new found independence

Nine adult Avocet, with seven fledged and three young still to do so, also a pair in the creeks with at least one young. I had three sightings of an adult Little Ringed Plover, probably the same bird which chased a Common Sandpiper around the pool for several minutes. I've never seen this behaviour by a LRP towards another small wader before. Two Little Grebe and 2 Stock Dove, a Kingfisher put in an appearance perching briefly on the outlet.

Coastal Path.

Gatekeeper male. Pete Woodruff.

By way of a change at least 40 butterflies seen, 24 Large White, 9 Gatekeeper were within a few metres of each other, 4 Red Admiral, a Small Tortoiseshell and Meadow Brown.

Saltcote Pond.

Painted Lady. Pete Woodruff. 

A nice pristine Painted Lady was here, with a lone Emperor Dragonfly male on patrol, also a male Common Darter, and a Common Blue Damselfly.

Gatekeeper.

Gatekeeper. Pete Woodruff.

When I took this photograph I thought it was of a pair of Gatekeeper. But viewing the image on my computer, whilst it had brighter orange areas on its wings than the male on the right, it should have lacked the sex brand but didn't....So did I find a coloured variant Gatekeeper?

Being I had a better day for butterflies this year so far, I thought it appropriate for the header image of a Small Skipper....Credit and Thanks to Martin Jump.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update.
    I ventured to Birk Bank this morning and Bank End - Bank House this afternoon to do a ‘Big Butterfly Count’. Only species seen were Large & Small Whites and Gatekeeper, it was quite breezy though.
    I have emailed you re Birk Bank this morning.
    I only managed 8 Common Tern chicks on Conder Pool this afternoon.

    All the best - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased to note that you are finding that the butterfly situation seems to be picking up now, Pete. We have noticed a similar situation in our area over the past three days.

    Gatekeeper seem to be having a really good year this year. They were by far the most numerous butterfly I saw last week in the New Forest - I would guess at at least ten times as many as of any other species, and possibly even twenty times as many. For the first time ever, we're getting them in our garden too - two of them at once for the past three days.

    Your Avocet video had me smiling as, coincidentally, I too took some video of a flagged Avocet last week. It all looked very familiar to me although mine is, currently, in colour - at least the leg flag is, if not much else!

    Had to look at your post title twice to check if it was 'Life On The Pool' or 'Life on the Poo!' Must be due to some recent 'bog'references from you!

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. A male Ruff in summer plumage. I have never seen a male in this plumage at all, No doubt a lovely sight. A good tally of bird and butterfly species seen and some impressive numbers. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian/Richard/Marc....I read your comments with interest, and thank you so much for your contributions to B2B.

    Marc....For the record, regarding your comment about never seeing a Ruff like this, it was recorded elsewhere more scientifically than mine, as being in 'summer plumage back morph'.

    ReplyDelete