BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 2 July 2023

Out Without Pants On!

Birding without optics, are you serious!

It wasn't until I got to Conder Green, that I realised I had left my binoculars at home....Might as well have been out with no pants on.

The Birds.

As far as the Common Tern and the new raft is concerned, I counted 10 adult, five of which are sitting female, and 3 broods of 9 chicks.

On the very low water level at Conder Pool, four Mediterranean Gull including a 1st summer....You might need to be determined to see it in the video. 

I have no idea of the current situation re the Little Ringed Plover, the last I heard 13 June, was one pair had lost three chicks, but were back on eggs again, and a second pair had produced one chick. The only bird I saw this visit, was a lone adult.

Having no intention of counting the Avocet, I reckon up to 14 adult present, with fledged and marked birds, young and a single chick, including a pair with two young in the creeks having walked across the busy B5290 to get there again this year. Also in the creeks - it must be the end of June - I saw 8 Common Sandpiper, 12 Black-tailed Godwit, and an adult Greenshank in breeding plumage....I set off to do a circuit to Glasson Dock, and back to Conder Green via the canal.

There are possibly three active House Martin nests at Crossing Cottage? - in an earlier life was once a cafe - whilst I saw no activity at Rivers Winds which appears to join Tower Lodge as being the first year to have no breeding House Martin.

From the canal towpath, Lesser Whitethroat, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler and Chiffchaff.

The Butterflies.

At least by way of a change, the day produced 18 butterflies, with 8 Ringlet, 7 Large Skipper, 2 Red Admiral and a Gatekeeper. But the best was to come when I got to Glasson and saw a butterfly on the grasses. I went to grab a shot and found it to be a White-letter Hairstreak.

White-letter Hairstreak. Pete Woodruff.

My sighting carries the claim of being the first White-letter Hairstreak to be recorded this year on the Lancashire Branch of Butterfly Conservation.

The Dragonflies.


On Saltcote Pond, a Broad-bodied Chaser was egg laying, with Common Blue Damselfly, Blue-tailed DamselflyEmperor Dragonfly and Brown Hawker seen.


Along the canal towpath to Conder Green, 4 Emperor Dragonfly female including ovipositing, and 2 Brown Hawker.


A first experience for me, and perhaps the ovipositing Emperor Dragonfly, which had a lucky escape from the clutches of something under the surface, presumably a fish was the predator.


Please Note.

The figures regarding the Common Tern on the new raft are generated from personal observations and footage on Thursday 29 June, and therefore do not reflect the official number of Common Tern adults/juveniles/and chicks currently present on Conder Pool. Also, following a conversation, my claim of no House Martin at River Winds may prove to be incorrect, as two nests were reported there recently. However, based on no evidence found or seen by myself, my comments stand until my next visit to Conder Green.

Thanks to Howard Stockdale for the excellent header image of the juvenile Common Tern, the first to fledge from the best colony ever on Conder Pool this year.

4 comments:

  1. That’s a very interesting and comprehensive report.
    On my brief visit to Conder Pool last evening I noticed the young Avocet was still doing ok, it’s quite chaotic in there at the moment.
    Great you found the White Letter Hairstreak, I am jealous.
    Great videos especially from Saltcoats Pond.
    Thanks as always for the update.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog post from you has ended my day on a high, Pete - thank you! I'm extremely impressed, and more than a little jealous about your White-letter Hairstreak sighting and a very nice shot of it too, and I'm also very impressed by your dragon footage too. That last piece was very interesting, and it does appear that the dragon was lucky to get away.

    You forgetting your optics is not as bad as me arriving for a week on Mull a few years ago and finding that I'd left all my camera memory cards at home!

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete -
    Forgot to say that was an excellent picture of the White letter Hairstreak.
    Also should have been Saltcote pond the predictive text changed it.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian....Thanks for your compliments, but sorry about the jealousy caused by the butterfly. The image falls short of excellent, in that the shadow falls over the wing.

    Richard....'This blog post from you has ended my day on a high'....Ditto, your comment ended my day on a high too.

    Leaving my bino's behind is certain not as bad as you leaving all you memory cards behind. Thanks also for your positive and complimentary comments too.

    Kind Regards to Ian and Richard....Pete

    ReplyDelete