BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 23 July 2023

Wrong Time Wrong Day....Again!

My third visit in three weeks to Birk Bank, proved conclusively that I'm out of luck when it comes to getting it right regarding the weather. 

Leaving home on Thursday, I was encouraged with some sun and the hope of improvement as the day progressed, but little more than 15 minutes later, on arrival at Birk Bank the grey clouds rolled in, and the wind was no better than chilly. I reckoned I was on a loser again, and with no improvement in the weather, for the whole time spent here I was proved right.

The yellow flowers of the Bog Asphodel have now turned to their orange fruiting colour.

Birk Bank Bog 20 July. Pete Woodruff.

I paid two visits three hours apart to the bog, and given the poor conditions, considered myself fortunate to find one male Keeled Skimmer, a male Common Darter, and the surprising bonus of a Golden-ringed Dragonfly

One Keeled Skimmer is the total over the three visits here, and I can only assume the weather conditions are responsible, blistering heat for three weeks, followed by wet and windy for three more weeks, can't be good news for Odonata.


Although Birk Bank didn't look anything like it should do on 20 July, I made a three hour trek around the area. Three Stonechat were seen as a lone female and later on the west side of Ottergear Bridge a pair. A Jay was something of a surprise, 2 Buzzard and 3 Raven were overhead, and a hovering Kestrel were as good as it got. 

On the day before I was at Birk Bank, Ian Mitchell had better luck than me, when he found Purple Hairstreak again in the Oaks by Ottergear Bridge. 

Purple Hairstreak Birk Bank 19 July. Ian Mitchell.

Wherever there are Oak, the Purple Hairstreak can be found mainly in the canopy. In some areas in the south, even one Oak tree can support a colony, though they can be easily be overlooked when searching for their food source of honeydew. The better chance of seeing this butterfly is in the evening of warm summer days.

Birk Bank Bog 

Out of interest, Ian made a couple of pH water tests on the bog at Birk Bank, and found both samples returned a score of 6. I was as surprised as Ian by the reading, thinking it would be more than 'slightly acidic'. Water in the home is regarded as fit for drinking at a score of between 6.5 and 8.5! 

4 comments:

  1. I sympathise with your weather situation, Pete. At least your visits weren't a total wash-out, and any day with a Golden-ringed Dragonfly is a good day! The weather's been a bit grim here too. We put the heating back on yesterday evening.

    Purple hairstreaks in the evening on warm summer days eh. Chance would be a fine thing!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard....Quite right about 'any day with a Golden-ringed Dragonfly is a good day', echo's my sentiment. We put our heating on recently too just to take the chill out. Also 'chance would be a fine thing', I'll second that.

    Thanks Richard....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete - Thanks for the name of the yellow plant.
    Glad you managed to see some Odonata my total was a single Golden Ringed Dragonfly briefly, the Purple Hairstreak did make up for it though.
    Concerning the pH value of the bog a source I looked up gives the pH value of bog water as 3.3 to 5.5 and transitional bog water as 4.5 to 6.0
    I only used litmus paper so can’t go to decimal places.

    Regards Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian....Litmus paper is perfect for the pH water test Ian, and accurate as far as I can see. Like I said, surprisingly low acidity at Birk Bank bog, when you think a half point more, and it's drinking water!

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete