BIRDS2BLOG....BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.......................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 16 July 2023

The Dead Duck!

Excuse the pun title, an American slang used politically in the mid 19 century and basically meaning useless....Rings true in the early 21st century, but politics and religion are barred on B2B.

My last two visits to Birk Bank have been almost useless, but truth is, there are never useless birding days, and Thursdays certainly wasn't one. 

Keeled Skimmer Birk Bank 13 July

I had to try for a video of the male Keeled Skimmer because it was the only dragonfly I saw on the day at Birk Bank or anywhere else, and was the only one seen on my previous visit there on 5 July. If this isn't related to the cloudy and breezy weather, then the hot dry conditions of late have had an impact on odonata....Nothing serious I hope!


Towards the end of the video, the Keeled Skimmer sharply lifts its head and opens its mouth....Quite a gape!

There was no sign of life when I went to Cragg Wood to find zilch on the River Conder. On my return to do a double check at the bog, I met Ian Mitchell who told me he had seen just the one male Keeled Skimmer I had found three hours earlier. In our conversation I told Ian I had found 2 Purple Hairstreak in the Oaks east of Ottergear Bridge. When we parted, Ian said he would take a look in the hope of finding a butterfly he had never seen before....There is evidence that he was successful with his brilliant header image of the Purple Hairstreak.

Common Carder Bee/Cuckoo Bee. Pete Woodruff.

At Birk Bank, a Common Carder Bee, and a faded male Cuckoo Bee which I am unable to identify to species.

Sundew Birk Bank 13 July. Pete Woodruff.

And on the bog, after finding Sundew there in August last year, I found more again on Thursday, this time two plants seen. This plant is noted to be in need of protection. 

Garden Hovers.

Some sunny weather brought hoverfly and a leaf cutter bee of interest into our garden, to keep me entertained and to photograph them with their elaborate scientific names.

Eupeodes corollae on California Poppy

Eupeodes latifasciatus on Chicory

Eristalis arbustorum on Shasta Daisy

Xanthogramma pedissequum on Willow

Eupeodes corollae (right) with Megachile centuncularis (leaf cutter bee) on Elecampane

5 comments:

  1. Pete - brilliant pictures of you hoverflies etc. I must take my hat off to your identification skills. I have looked them up in my books and would never tell the difference in the field.
    I also had a return to the bog after seeing you but just the same result, just the one Keeled Skimmer but in different location further out into the bog.
    Nice to know that there are Sundew about.
    Thanks once again for the update and butterfly tip.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Keeled Skimmer video and shot. That's a mouth you wouldn't want to get caught in. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian....I needed a little help with ID for some of the hovers, and the leaf cutter bee couldn't be assigned to species.

    Marc....Yes, quite a gape.

    Regards and thanks to both for looking in....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A late visit as I'm still catching up after a week in the New Forest, Pete. I wish my 'dead duck' days were as good as yours! However, I did catch up with a good few odonata, last week.

    I have very much enjoyed your insect photography and, like Ian, I am impressed by your ID skills - even if they were assisted!

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard....Will look forward to your New Forest report, and pleased to hear you caught up with the odonata. Thanks for the compliment.

    Good to hear from you again Richard.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete