BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 6 August 2023

Back In Business!.

I was back in business when the weather finally improved this week, and there was plenty of action on Conder Pool when I paid my first visit there following a gap of 11 days, to find the pontoon deserted of the 9 Common Tern chicks I had seen on 23 July. Amazing to think the progress they made in under a fortnight, to fledge and scatter around the pool.

The Common Tern has had the best year to date on Conder Pool in 2023, and my guess is that at least 15 birds have made it to fledging this year. Today I made an estimate count of 15 Common Tern adult and several juvenile, probably with as many out of sight as there was in view. 

I saw just one adult Avocet accompanied by a juvenile, but understand there is a nest out of view and still active. Up to 350 Redshank, c.20 Dunlin, and a Ruff were lined up at the back of the pool with an impressive count of 18 GreenshankJust one Common Sandpiper seen, 9 Little Grebe, 2 Stock Dove, and a Collared Dove

I caught a glimpse of 2 Kingfisher flying together as they whizzed across the pool. A Sparrowhawk was patrolling high above the pool, and a few House Martin were around the now defunct cafe on Corricks Lane with one nest still active. 

Saltcote Pond.


In my last post, I made a comment that Saltcote Pond was an attractive little waterbody, but on a wander from Glasson Dock and back to Conder Green today, I looked in and was disappointed to find some badly timed management having been carried out....The Keep Britain Tidy gang had been at work.

Hopefully all the dragonflies will have now bred, maybe my concern was unnecessary, but it wasn't a pretty sight.

Along the canal towpath, 8 Brown Hawker were the only dragonflies encountered. Butterflies verged on abysmal, with 2 Comma, 2 Gatekeeper, 2 Meadow Brown, and a Speckled Wood.    


I paid two visits to Conder Pool, one before and one after the high tide, it took me 2 hours for 3 Little Ringed Plover juvenile to show, which actually made my day when they did. There was a bonus attached to the sighting, through a conversation with Ian Hartley, I am aware of 2 juveniles being seen here recently, and I agree with the opinion, that this third juvenile is a visitor to Conder Pool from elsewhere probably on the Lune Estuary.

Food For Thought!

Camera's had been in place on the Conder Pool raft to monitor fish species being brought in for the broods as research for the RSPB. Sprats were the main fish with smaller numbers of Sand Eel and the odd fresh water fish such as Roach and small Pike, probably taken from the canal where I had recently seen the terns up and down the length of the canal Glasson - Conder Green.


An excellent image of an adult Common Tern bringing in food for the chicks stood in line to get to the front of the queue with anticipation....It's my turn next please!

Thanks to Howard Stockdale for the info and camera footage. Also for the header image of one of two of this years Little Ringed Plover.
........................................................................

And Finally.

Southern Hawker. Ian Stephenson.

A dragonfly came to rest on a window box at a house in Brookhouse yesterday. Identified as a Southern Hawker female, and photographed on a Smartphone, with thanks to Ian for alerting me and sending me the image.

3 comments:

  1. Saltcote Pool had been 'trimmed' when I was last there which was only a couple of days after you had been previously, it looked a bit of a mess.
    Good there had been a camera on Conder Pool, nice image and interesting to see what fish they bring in.
    Good news about the Little Ringed Plover.
    Haven't been out myself for a while now what with jobs to do and the bad weather.
    A couple of dragonflies have been over my garden but too fast to identify.
    Butterflies and moths very thin on the ground mostly but had a Painted Lady on one occasion and 32 Large Yellow Underwing one night in trap but otherwise very poor.
    Thanks or the blog.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully sympathise with your disgust at the environmental carnage at Saltcote Pond, Pete. It's happening everywhere. The 'keep it tidy' brigade are partly to blame, but I suspect that the main problem is that the various councils are too stuck into contracts with those who mow and strim public places, and are scared of being blamed for people losing their jobs. Maybe such persons should be retrained as guardians of the environment.

    Not seen my first Southern Hawker of the year yet, but then I'd not been out locally since 19th June until this afternoon, when I went on an unsuccessful White Letter Hairstreak hunt

    Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian/Richard....Thanks for your visits and comments once again. I appreciate the encouragement it gives me to keep on keeping on with B2B.

    Kind regards to both....Pete

    Just to keep the record straight re the tidying up on Saltcote Pond. The pond is in private hands and maintained by volunteers who do sterling work there. However as I see it, someone needs to be educated and adjust the timetable for some of the work they do. Otherwise 'Pond of the Year' for me.

    ReplyDelete