BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 9 August 2023

Mainly Dragons....

....and some extraordinary young birds....Well I think so anyway!

When I arrived at the River Conder by Cragg Wood yesterday, my eyes were drawn to the tree tops where I saw at least 20 Migrant Hawker milling around overhead in one view through my binoculars. I've never witnessed a movement of Migrant Hawkers like this before, albeit small in number,  it was another rewarding first for me.

Migrant Hawker. Pete Woodruff.

On the wander back for a return visit to the bog at Birk Bank, I saw another 6 Migrant Hawker, including this immature male hanging on the Mountain Ash. 

It was another disappointing day at the bog, in the two visits three hours apart, I struggled to find 2 Keeled Skimmer male, one seeing the other off, and 2 Keeled Skimmer female hanging on Bog Asphodel, a single Golden-ringed Dragonfly, and a male Common Darter

Common Lizard. Pete Woodruff.

The 10 Common Lizard I saw within 20 metres along the boardwalk, gave the impression they are thriving here.

Whinchat.

Whinchat Juvenile. Copyright Paul Slade.

On Monday 7 August, a young Whinchat was found on the Fylde coast. I find it amazing that a Whinchat barely a week fledged and still showing its gape, could fly from its natal site in the uplands of Bowland, to find itself at least 20 miles away at Cockers Dyke.

Wheatear.

Wheatear Juvenile. Copyright Paul Ellis.

But then you could say the same about this young Wheatear found on 16 July at Bank End.

I'm grateful to Paul Slade and Paul Ellis for the use of their images of two remarkable young birds.

....................................................................

It's time to put some excitement and spruce up B2B with some juicy controversy, and for anyone who still wants to pretend that the grouse shooting industry isn’t responsible for the systematic extermination of Hen Harriers on grouse moors across the UK, here’s the latest catalogue of crime that suggests otherwise....READ THIS

5 comments:

  1. Good you saw and got a good photo of one of the Migrant Hawkers.
    Sorry to hear it is still quiet on the bog.
    Nice header picture of the heather coming out looks lovely.
    Interesting about the Whinchat.
    You didn’t mention seeing any butterflies, are they still thin on the ground as well?

    Thanks for the info glad you can get out again after the wet weather.

    Regards Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Ian. Apart from a few 'white' butterflies I saw just 2 Small Copper on the bog....Pathetic!

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more than a little jealous of your numerous Migrant Hawkers, Pete, and I'd love the opportunity to photograph a lizard too.

    Your header image is wonderful!

    I'm in total sympathy with your hatred of the grouse-shooting industry. In fact, I'm against any sort of destruction of living creatures for pleasure, and am deeply suspicious of the mental health of anyone who, in this day and age, gets pleasure from this sort of activity.

    On a happier note, I have been out three times this week (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday) for my first time out locally since 19th June !!! I have been very impressed by the numbers and variety of butterflies I've been seeing, although dragonfly numbers have been very disappointing.

    Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard -
    The opposite way round here.
    A few hours spent at Foulshaw Moss nature reserve yesterday yielded only a single Speckled Wood and a single white butterfly, quite depressing really.
    On the other hand there were odonata in abundance and plenty of Common Lizards, especially young.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard....As always I read with interest and make notes on your comments....Thank You.

    Good to hear the butterflies are showing in your area, but Ian is quite correct about the converse in our area. A serious concern as I see it.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete