BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 20 August 2023

Conder Pool And Some Legwork.

Conder Pool.

A pool that never fails to deliver some interest great or small. I made a total of four visits there this week between a couple of wanders along the canal towpath, and made another good count of 18 Greenshank, along with 80 Redshank, all of which were accompanied by 2 Ruff, also a Common Sandpiper and 10 Little Grebe seen. 

I eventually saw 6 Common Tern adult, three of which on one occasion were all flighting around with fish in their bills, one eventually went down out of sight. It's obvious there is at least one juvenile still being fed out of sight behind the island, but with three adult birds in the air together, and all with a meal in the bill it's anyone's guess....but I know a couple of people who probably know different!


Saltcote Pond.


A few Common Darter including a pair in tandem, Common Blue Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly, and a lone Brown Hawker constantly on patrol.

Canal Towpath.

Lancaster Canal. Pete Woodruff. 

Obviously not at their peak numbers yet, but along this 3 mile section of the canal between Glasson-Galgate, 12 Migrant Hawker, were often seen hawking along and above the hedgerow, but with frequent hovering lower down. At least 30 Brown Hawker were seen, with tobacco body and amber wings it's the easiest of all the dragonflies to identify. Best surprise was a female Banded Demoiselle, not really expected to be seen in mid-August. Three Common Tern flew over the canal from the south towards Conder Pool, several small groups of Swallow flying south, and a Buzzard was overhead at Galgate.

Butterflies.

On a day with perfect sunny and warm conditions, with just 4 Speckled Wood, 3 Small Copper, and 3 Gatekeeper seen, butterflies continue to be at an all time low in my book.

On my way back to Lancaster, there was a movement of c.20 House Martin over Ashton Road.

The Warbler!

This bird was calling from the canal towpath in the Conder Green area.

 

I decided to make a video for a recording to give me time to asses what I heard. With the habitat the bird was calling from looking good, I concluded it was the alarm call of a Whitethroat.....Thanks to Steve for his contribution here, and for agreeing with me. 

6 comments:

  1. This is a vey comprehensive report you have been busy, nice videos.
    Shame about the lack of butterflies, this is my experience as well, but good you are seeing a few dragons.
    Cheers for the report.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Pete, I enjoyed your videos, with the Common Darter clip being particularly interesting to me. Although I have seen them ovipositing like this on many occasions, I have never noticed how violent the action is - that female's really getting heaved around!

    The butterfly situation in these parts is quite mixed. Although some species seem to be in short supply, Gatekeeper, Holly Blue, and Brimstone seem to be having an exceptionally good year.

    Got the Merlin app to listen to your warbler, and it came up with Reed Warbler!

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian/Richard....Thanks for your comments once again.

    The Merlin app doesn't get good reviews from me Richard. Your result of Reed Warbler was much more acceptable than mine, which was a North America Sedge Wren. I'm thinking of dumping the app if that kind of result continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you may have the wrong'Bird Pack' loaded on Merlin, Pete. I just have 'Europe: Britain and Ireland' installed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 30 Brown Hawker!! I don't think I have ever seen that many in my life. Sounds like the species is doing well up there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. '30 Brown Hawker!! I don't think I have ever seen that many in my life'....Hard to believe that Marc, but obviously a hawker not the species around Kent as in Lancashire. To be honest I was after Migrant Hawkers and would have expected the numbers reversed 30 Migrant - 12 Brown.

    Thanks and Regards Marc....Pete.

    ReplyDelete