BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WHEATEAR CAM BROOK PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 30 August 2023

Steam Days And Birding!

With the breeding Common Tern and Avocet all departed, and just 6 Greenshank to be seen, Conder Pool took on a look of desolation, but the count of 17 Little Grebe turned the pool into a mid-winter feel. 

In 15 minutes looking from the viewing screen, I counted 10 Migrant Hawker passing, and saw 2 Red AdmiralI think the property on Corrick's Lane is now holiday accommodation and not the cafe it once was, 6 House Martin were around with a nest still active there.

Common Darter Saltcote Pond. Pete Woodruff.
 
On Saltcote Pond, a few Common Darter included a female seen oviposting over open water, also a few Common Blue and Blue-tailed Damselfly. Along the canal towpath Glasson - Conder Green, a low count of 8 Migrant Hawker, I think September will change that to something bigger and better, 6 Specked Wood seen.


Pity the birds were distant, but the footage is evidence of an adult Common Tern on the Lune Estuary at Glasson, a juvenile was hovering and plunge diving, and 24 Little Egret seen.

Sunday 27 August.

On the sea defences and shore, 6 Wheatear seen along the Sandylands promenade. 

Picture Gallery.

Having recently received several excellent images, I wanted to show some respect to three of the many authors who continually keep me supplied with news and illustrations of 'what's on' in our area and beyond.

Small Red-eyed Damselfly Haslem Park. Martin Jump.

Black Tern Glasson Dock. Howard Stockdale.

Black Darter Foulshaw. Ian Mitchell.

Thanks to Martin Jump, Howard Stockdale, Ian Mitchell....Much Appreciated.

The happy days in another life came to mind as I pondered for a header pik, when I was a fireman for good old British Railways and dinosaurs ruled the world. I have Peter Guy to thank for the image of the beautiful beast called the Duchess of Sutherland.

5 comments:

  1. When I opened the page I thought the site had morphed into Buffer 2 Buffer
    Nice picture of Common Darter on Saltcote pond which seemed to have been considerably trimmed when I last drove past.
    Your video of the gulls and egrets in the estuary reminds me of excitedly visiting Leighton Moss to see a Little Egret which had just turned up, how times change.
    I think that Covid put paid to the cafe on Corrick’s Lane but it always seemed popular with cyclists as well as the House Martins.
    Nice selection of pictures and information as always.

    Thanks.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from your own observations and images, and those from the persons you pay tribute to, Pete, I was interested to learn that you once were a fireman on BR. Having been interested in railways for much of my life, for the last fifteen years of my working life I ran a railtour company catering for railway enthusiasts. I've never fired a steam loco but I have driven a diesel on the main line in Mexico, an electric loco on a service train in Austria, and steam on a preservation line in UK. I have also driven a tram in service on the Isle of Man. That header image is fabulous - I was always a fan of LMS locos, and thought their LNER counterparts were ugly. I was a serious railway modeller once too, but only on loco models - not layouts. The only model I have left is one of a SR Schools Class, named after my school (Christ's Hospital).

    Thank you for stirring up the memories. Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian....Liked the comment about B2B morphing to Buffer2Buffer, and the mention about Leighton Moss, I was there Thursday, read all about it soon.

    Richard....Interesting read about your railway enthusiasms and having memories stirred.

    Thanks to both, with regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pete. Just wanted to reiterate the thanks to yourself and the others who contribute to your excellent blog. Just spent a pleasant and informative 5 minutes chatting to Howard at Conder Pool. Please keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  5. David....Long time no see/hear and good to know you are keeping in touch with B2B. Your chat with Howard Stockdale would certainly have been informative, and equally pleasant.

    Thanks for the complimentary comments David.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete