BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 18 May 2009

Late on Duty.

With a bucket full of enthusiasm for some birding today I looked out the window this morning and my enthusiasm died an instant death with no explanation necessary as to why. But by the time I'd had some breakfast it was looking decidedly improved and off I went albeit by now it was 11.00am, but at 10.15 a Curlew Sandpiper was reported at Cockersands and this is where I decided to head as to be perfectly honest I'm getting fed up of getting reports of 'things' at Glasson Dock and Cockersands in my absence.
As I walked along the headland at Cockersands in the direction of the Caravan Park and having reached the second kissing gate, I lifted my binoculars to check a 'gull' over the field by the restored old farm building to find a Fulmar had been slightly blown off the sea. The bird gave excellent views as it lingered around the headland and eventually in the area of the lighthouse. So Cockersands has thrown up one or two birds of interest recently and with this birding game......whats next you ask yourself. Also noted here on the circular, at least 40 Eider were around the lighthouse area and from the road on the return 4 Stock Dove were seen today, 2 Skylark were in song like it was 18 May but really felt like 18 March, and 9 Sedge Warbler in song is a clear indication of a good number here this year.

From Bodie Hill 2 Grey Partridge were seen here again and are presumably the same two seen on 30 March/3 April, also a Wheatear on the marsh. At Conder Green a single Little - ringed Plover was on Conder Pool, but a bigger surprise was a Spotted Redshank in the creek, this bird wasn't as advanced into summer plumage as the long staying bird/s which haven't been seen recently and is obviously a 'new' bird. Also in the creeks were c.24 Black - tailed Godwit, 2 Reed Bunting, and a singing Reed Warbler was in the reeds upstream from the A588 road bridge.

I think the Mallard in the pic at Conder Green thought it was a Grey Partridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment