BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Friday 12 February 2010

Friday Again!


Photography first, and this superb image comes with the title 'Marshaw Beech' and with my many thanks to Peter Guy. I was in this area yesterday but wasn't in possession of this picture then so it is quite appropriate I add it to this post today. When I see this kind of work I find it difficult to believe I gave up my photography to pursue my passion for the birds....but there you go! Thanks again Peter, this is simply stunning.

Well, it's Friday and I was in the company of JB/BT but don't be tempted to compare my records with JB's on the LDBWS website http://www.lancasterbirdwatching.org.uk/ as they come nowhere close to being as comprehensive as his but I'm quite happy to transfer on to Birds2blog what I personally regard  as worthy of note and not as a scientific report. 

At Conder Green the first record I collected was of an excellent 230+ Goldeneye on the River Lune which represents something like 200 more than can be seen anywhere else within the recording area at any one location, also on the river c.2,000 Bar-tailed Godwit. On Conder Pool and in the channel at least 70 Common Gull of note, a Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, and 2 Little Grebe. On Jeremy Lane the same number as on 5 February of  16 Bewick's Swans with 3 Whooper Swans. At Cockersands I noted c.60 Black-tailed Godwit at the lighthouse end, and at the Caravan Park the male Stonechat happily foraging the tide wrack again. Off Moss Lane up to 7,000 Pink-footed Geese were in three fields.

On Pilling Marsh distant and partially hidden - and could only be presumed - up to 95 Whooper Swans and 3 Little Egrets. At the feeding station on Bradshaw Lane - not my most favourite location - 10 Yellowhammer, 10 Corn Bunting, 12 Tree Sparrow, 12 Chaffinch, a Dunnock, 2 Reed Bunting, and 2 Brown Hare. On New Lane c.20 Tree Sparrows  to note.


And me being a succour for good photography here's another Peter Guy gem, this of the River Hodder at Whitewell. I'm just going to have to thank you once more Peter, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to passing judgement on a photograph and this is great composition, stunning and very atmospheric.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment