BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 22 April 2010

Double Six!


Sandwich Tern courtesy of Phil Slade.

Struggling for pics again but found this Sandwich Tern which will do nicely for the head of today's post, taken by a man from the Fylde, thanks Phil. Visit Another Bird Blog and keep up to date on his birding/ringing days.

Six miles in six hours - and thats a crawl - on a smart blue sky day though the breeze remains pretty chilly. I made an attempt at counting 26 House Sparrows from leaving home to arriving at Aldcliffe but I don't think its much of a contribution as it isn't easy putting binoculars to your eyes in urban areas especially when you get to Haverbreaks which is a very private place and not one to find yourself confronted by one of the residents accusing you of peering into peoples bedrooms....there's no need for me to go on like this is there, so here are the records, Aldcliffe - Conder Green....

On Freeman's Pools 2 Little Ringed Plover, on the way here in stubble 2 White Wagtail and a Green Sandpiper on the wildfowlers pool. The walk between Aldcliffe and Conder Green produced, at least 24 Blackbirds, 4 Song Thrush, 3 Wren, 3 Dunnock, 2 Willow Warbler - which is a poor return heading towards the end of April - single Chiffchaff, 3 Lesser Whitethroat, a Whitethroat, 3 Blackcap all singing males, 6 Goldfinch, 5 Greenfinch are almost an amazing record, 3 Wheatear, and my first 4 House Martin which were going to the trouble of collecting mud from the banks of the River Lune and flying almost a 1/4 of a mile to the property where they were nest building....tireless and amazing creatures.

At Conder Green there were at least 10 Common Sandpiper here today, a Spotted Redshank which can  now be picked out a mile away without optics and is almost as black as the ace of spades, a Greenshank, 3 Goldeneye still on the pool, and the Kestrel which can be seen on a daily basis hunting here and is surely breeding somewhere in the vicinity.

Although there was some good returns for my effort today, this walk was void of being regarded as alive with birds/song and lots of species numbers are low as far as I'm concerned, probably the two best examples being Wrens and Willow Warblers, a single Chiffchaff wasn't all that impressive either.  




4 comments:

  1. Hey Pete, I did some twitcher watching yesterday at Cockersands during a quick visit at lunchtime. I thought it might be you but it seems not but I did suffer from telecope envy as the tide was way out and my titchy binoculars could not compete with the tripod and large scope on display. However we watched for 20 minutes a beautiful peregrine catch its lunch and then eat it on the sand before realising it wanted seconds and went to put the fright up some more birds, I must invest in something with a longer reach but it was a breathless moment for me and a real treat. I may be a decided amateur but whatever I see really gives me a thrill. Not seen a greenfinch for years and would love to. Next on my list perhaps!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete. You are certainly welcome to use my photos on Birds2blog. Thanks for the kind words!
    Zac

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your last sentence. Spring hasn't really sparked up yet has it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this Richard. Exciting stuff indeed the Peregrine, if you concentrate on the bird - as I know you did - in pursuit of prey you get a good idea of the power in its wing beat....incredible stuff!

    If/when you decide to update your 'titchy binoculars' please don't do so until you have spoken to me for advice....FREE!

    Thanks for this Zac....will keep in touch.

    Been out again today Warren and to be honest little improvement.

    Thanks everyone for looking in and comments which are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete