BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 4 August 2010

An Extension!


Dunlin. Brian Rafferty.

If you was to judge this image of the Dunlin on its merits all you'd have to do is to take into account the composition and focus both of which I'd regard as perfect....Thanks for this BR its a brilliant example of wildlife photography.

Today I managed to squeeze in 2.5 hours birding which by recent standards is something of an extension for me and it was a well rewarded one too. Conder Pool claimed its status again this morning as a good location for 'collecting' birds, waiting to be found with up to 320 Back-headed Gulls was a second summer Mediterranean Gull, also on the pool was a juvenile Ruff, 3 Black-tailed Godwit all in immaculate summer plumage, 6 Common Gulls, 3 Wigeon, and c.220 Lapwing. In the creeks, at least 8 Common Sandpiper, a bird which needs to be recorded as 'at least' whilst walking the circuit at Conder Green because they tend to move around a bit, 2 Spotted Redshank, c.60 Redshank, and 15 Dunlin. I spent 1.5 enjoyable hours here this morning with a decent number and selection of birds around for a small area.

At Glasson Dock on the Lune Estuary another 2 Mediterranean Gulls were both adults, a Little Egret was again distant below Waterloo Cottage. By the time I turned my attentions to the wader population here - which is building up into large autumn-like numbers - a Peregrine Falcon came on the scene with the obvious result of sheer panic which put paid to my intentions of a serious grilling....A good time was had by all and - with other matters to deal with and my time being up - I put away my optics for another day. 

And finally....

 
Courtesy of Richard Shilling.

I've not showcased any of Richards 'Landart' recently so time to put that right with his 'Seashell Colour Squares'. Richards creative mind can be opened up on Flickr via the link in my sidebar, his work never ceases to amaze me and it will you too. Thanks for this Richard....creative as ever and much appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment