BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................PLOVER SCAR LIGHT AND BLACK COMBE OVER THE BAY PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 13 January 2011

I wandered lonely....


....as a cloud. But didn't see any Daffodills, well I wouldn't it's only January and if you don't know William Wordsworth and his poetry then you'll wonder what the hell I'm going on about....my apologies.

Pied Wagtail. David Cookson  

Once more I insist on starting - and ending actually - the post with another excellent image. I tossed a coin to decide which one was to be at the top and this one of the Pied Wagtail in the snow was the winner, probably the best Pied Wagtail photograph I ever saw with thanks to DC. 

I decided on the 'birding' walk from Lancaster to Glasson Dock was the best plan for today and was surprised at the amount of fresh coming racing down the River Lune when I arrived at Green Ayre, resulting in the scene being almost void of birds from here to Marsh Point with barely 100 Black-headed Gulls seen on the entire length with nothing esle of note.

The birds have claimed back Freeman's Pools from the iceman though few have taken it up as yet and I noted just a drake each, Goldeneye, Pochard, and Shoveler, with c.20 Mallard and 2 Mute Swans bringing up the rear. Aldcliffe Marsh was hardly a hive of activity but 13 Barnacle Geese switched on the lights for me though other 'geese' numbers were drastically reduced from my last few visits here with c.200 Greylag, only 14 Pink-footed Geese, and little more than 10 Canada Geese seen. From Aldcliffe to Conder Green the birdlife was worryingly minimal though 38 Blackbirds were counted, 2 Song Thrush, and 10 Long-tailed Tits noted. Opposite Nansbuck Cottage on the far bank I estimated 3,500 Lapwing with - better still - 95 Golden Plover.

At Conder Green the Common Sandpiper obliged, with a Grey Plover noted, 3 Little Grebe included one on Conder Pool with a Goldeneye, c.90 Pink-footed Geese went over going south. At Glasson Dock I watched about 12 Mute Swans come down onto the River Lune from the south bringing with them the Black Swan and immature Whooper Swan I'd seen on Tuesday on Moss Lane. A Little Grebe was in the dock possibly being a first for me.

And finally....


I have a feeling this smart little Dunlin has been showcased on Birds2blog before, whether it has or not this photograph definitely qualifies for 'excellent' you only have to look at the plumage detail - razor sharp - on this bird to accept the accolade....Nice one BR, with my thanks.

Out with JB/BT tomorrow, though this week the warning has gone out for 'an early finish' sounds like we'll be home again by 2.00pm....Oh dear!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment