BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Monday 24 January 2011

The Med Has It!


Conder Green. Peter Guy.

By way of a change no pics of birds, but a brilliant photograph of Conder Green on a misty Thursday 20 January morning last week  for which I'm truly grateful to PG.

Well, the smart adult Mediterranean Gull on the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock gets the 'Bird of the day' award from me on my Mondays four hours against the clock birding - I hate running to a timetable - closely followed by the Spotted Redshank at Conder Green where I also noted 2 Grey Plover, 2 Little Grebe, 15 Wigeon on the marsh here, and a hunting Kestrel. Two Goldeneye were the only notables on Conder Pool. The Lune Estuary also produced 26 Goldeneye with a reduced figure of late c.250 Golden Plover, and a mix of distant c.30 Black/Bar-tailed Godwit. On the canal basin I noted 7 Goldeneye and a drake Pochard.

Off Bodie Hill on Glasson Marsh, c.55 Black-tailed Godwit and 665 Wigeon to note. From Moss Lane c.2,500 Pink-footed Geese. At Cockersands where - running out of time - I paid a token visit and noted 25 Linnet at the set-aside, c.450 Oystercatchers were the guardians of the rapidly submerging Plover Scar underneath an almost 10m tide, with 2 Grey Plover, c.40 Dunlin, and 2 Eider drake by the lighthouse....Come in PW you're time's up! 

 River Hodder at Burholme. Peter Guy.

Well the East Lanc's birders will be more acquainted with this photograph of the River Hodder at Burholme than the North Lanc's birders, with thanks once more to PG.

And finally....I note the Shorelark found at/near the Carnforth slag tips on Saturday has been showing again today and has created some interest it being a rare bird for these parts. I did an article on the species 'The Shorelark' on 28 December which concluded with, 'It strikes me I should be taking a look in on the slag tips at Carnforth....we may be missing some Shorelark records in our area', well I did'nt....'take a look in'.

No comments:

Post a Comment