BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 20 March 2018

A Little Quality.

Within the first few minutes into my circuit of Cockersand yesterday, I had found 3 Wheatear, all male on Plover Scar. If the Wheatears hadn't have been my first migrants this year, I would have said 'better still' when I got to Cockerham Sands I found 3 Stonechat, seen as two male and a female, also here was a nice Song ThrushIn the field off Slack Lane, behind Crook Cottage, another drastic reduction down to 175 Golden Plover, with 5 Linnet around the cover crop field, and a Kestrel and Snipe noted.  

Including some uncounted off Jeremy Lane, c.300 Whooper Swan are still in the Cockersand area, though at one point they were badly disturbed by Mr Farmer tearing through the field on his quad bike....Well he does have to make a living off the land you have to understand.

My only notes at Conder Green were of 32 Wigeon grazing on Conder Pool, and the Common Sandpiper 50m downstream in the Conder Channel.

Only ten species in four hours, but if I'm going to find 3 Wheatear (31 March in 2017) and 3 Stonechat....it's at least a bit of quality birding in my book.

The Mutt Problem.

The thing is....These people and their mutts are all perfectly entitled to excersise where and when they wish within restrictions. The problem is, some of the restrictions aren't in place, but need to be. I observed my latest example last week at Cockersand, when a minder and 8 mutts ran riot along the length and breadth of Plover Scar. 



The picture above is of four of the eight, seen later below the embankment at Plover Scar, which is where the minder was with the other four mutts out of my sight, presumably he was sat having a breather whilst the mutts sniffed around the area like they do.

I'm confident about a couple of issues being dealt with in the near future here. The individual minder in question here will be either spoken to by a contact involved with this problem next time, failing that, a note on his windscreen to politely explain the situation. I'm also confident via my contact, that notices are to be erected in this area sometime in the future....We'll await to see the results from that when it happens. But we really do need to be doing something about this avoidable bird disturbance, wilful or not. 

5 comments:

  1. 3 Wheatear already. I'm still awaiting my first which may have to wait till the weekend for me to get out. Good luck with the dogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter,
    I agree with you, these dogs running all over the place along water banks are a pain for the observer/photographer but mostly for the birds who can't find peace where they need to rest and feed.
    I have been enraged a number of time along the Atlantic shores feeling very sorry for the shorebirds.
    Kid regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc....A bit like a child with a new toy when I found my first Wheatear today. This kind of thing affects me in the same way every year, it's just me, its what I'm like with my birds/birding, I hope I never recover from it.

    Noushka....Good to hear from you again. I intend sending you an e-mail soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pete. Having just spent a week in a property adjacent to a beach in the Scillies, I can fully sympathise with your mutt problem. The beach was favoured by Iceland Gulls, Med Gulls, Greenshank, Black Redstart and plenty more of interest, but these were disturbed, probably on average every 20 minutes, by people letting their dogs loose to chase the birds. Several times I was all hidden away ready to take photos of a target bird, and had my wait rewarded by some idiot frightening my quarry away. Sadly, the beach in question was labelled as a 'Dog Friendly Beach' - what is all that about?

    Saw a few Stonechat - but not as many as on previous visits. Black Redstart were also well down on numbers compared to my previous visit at this time of year. Had my first Wheatear there on Sunday. Real highlight was Snowy Owl in snow!!!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting read Richard.

    Hard to believe what we see you say about the bird disturbance, then for you to end by announcing it to be designated as a 'Dog Friendly Beach'....I despair.

    21 March 2018 at 21:13 Delete

    ReplyDelete