BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................2nd SUMMER MEDITERRANEAN GULL CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 17 July 2019

Gold, Purple, And Some Others.

On Monday I was reminded of the days when I was accompanied on most of my birding days by my mentor John Leedal. A fern is a fern, and heather is heather, well it is if you're as ignorant as me. But I was out and about with Barry Dyson today. I learned quite a few things I didn't know about, and some of my ignorance was turned into a bit more knowledge.

We sauntered along Rigg Lane, and up Littledale Road, to arrive at the early beginnings of the River Conder by Cragg Wood, to find 3 Golden-ringed Dragonfly patrolling a section of the stream. This dragonfly is unique, in that its breeding habitat is entirely confined to acidic upland streams in areas of blanket bog and moorland heath, little wonder you can find them in this area like we did today. A Small Skipper was seen from the path away from here. 

Purple Hairstreak. Barry Dyson.

We found at least 5 Purple Hairstreak, three were seen in the Oaks around Ottergear Bridge, and by the time we reached the bog at Birk Bank, singletons were seen in two other Oaks along the way. 

At the bog, another Golden-winged Dragonfly, male Keeled Skimmer, 2 Four-spotted Chaser, and an Azure Damselfly.

Butterflies seen, uncounted but at least 30 Meadow Brown, a Red Admiral, and a Green-veined White. I made notes of only three bird species, Willow Warbler were seen along Rigg Lane, a movement of 8 Mistle Thrush, and a Buzzard soaring and 'mewing' overhead Birk Bank.



I had a privileged feeling when this Golden-ringed Dragonfly came to rest on the leg of my tripod, with the young River Conder flowing by over the ford.  

Not overwhelmed by numbers, but an excellent day in excellent company, with quality making up for lack of quantity....Thanks Barry.

1 comment:

  1. Very jealous Pete of your Golden ringed success. A dragonfly I've only seen a few times in Kent where it remains scarce to say the least.

    ReplyDelete